Pediatrics Community
strep throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

strep throat

is there any way of knowing if you child has strep other than having a culture done?  our one child has been sneezing, coughing, low fever, and stuffy nose for two days.  not really complaining about her throat hurting.  we hate bringing our kids in for every little thing and/or getting put on antibiotics.  any ideas?
Just look up the symptoms on google.  I have been dealing with my daughter's sore throat for a while, so I have been doing a lot of research on different symptom checker websites and usually they say if you have the sneezing and coughing it is not strep.  Usually the main cause of concern is the sore throat and the fever.  They also say that the throat usually looks red and may have spots on the tonsils too.  But I am no doctor and you know your children the best, if you think he/she is really sick then I would take them in.  Does your pediatrician have a nurse to speak to?  Mine does and I just give her a call when I am not sure and she will usually say come in or wait it out a few days, whatever she thinks is necessary.  Hope this helps and hope the little one gets better quickly!