Pediatrics Community
suboxone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

suboxone

a friend's 9 month old baby had to have surgery, and because she was pulling out  her breathing tube they put her on several strong narcotis, along with ativan. then they used methadone to taper her off of all the other meds. now she is addicted to methadone.  they are tapering her off of the methadone, and of course she is going through hell.  does anyone here know if suboxone can be used for infants?
I hope to God you are not planning to administer anything to the baby especially not suboxone! I know very little about it but it definately something only the hospital could know. Why exactly are you asking that? Are you saying the baby was given methadone by the hospital for pain??
I would never think of administering anything to the baby! The hospital gave the baby methadone to help with her withdrawels from the adult strength opiates they had been giving her for nearly a month to sedate her.  Suboxone helped me withdraw from massive amounts of ocycontin, oxycodone, and morphine with basically no wd's.  I was just wondering if the dr.s could give the baby some form of suboxone to help her with the wd's from methadone.  I know that methadone wd's are the worst from past experience. BTW, the baby lives 2 states away, so I could hardly harm her.
I know a neo/natal icu nurse and they use methadone because its ez to measure and check the setum level in the blood this is the way they bring alll babys off narcotics its safe and if done right fairly painless sounds like she /he is in good hands let the doctors be dotors Jenny runs into this all the time it more common then you think the baby will be fine
and no they dont use sub with babys.........Gnarly  
wish they did, it worked great for me.  The baby has been in wd's for a week now, and it's not getting any better.  I think they took her off of it too fast.
I hope this little one will be feeling better soon.  How fast did they taper her down?
babies are much stronger than we would like to think at times.shes in good hands w\people who do this w\infants alot more than you think. no matter what we do when it comes to withdrawl (withdrawal) theres gonna be disscomfort.they do not use sub 4 infants. Infact if you get pregnant on sub here in N.Y. they switch you 2 methadone.clinical trials have NOT been approved on infants so theres no way 2 tests its safety with babies.
Aahhh hope the baby is better, carnt believe doctors over there use methadone for babies I know they use it when babies are born addicted to heroin but that poor baby, the doctors must know what there doing but it just seems wrong
Not certain why this was transferred here ... I cant believe that they gave a baby these drugs .