Pediatrics Community
sudden foul mouth odor in toddler

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

sudden foul mouth odor in toddler

My 3 yr old daughter has always had a distinctive though pleasant mouth odor.  Maybe two months ago she had a mild cold and I decide to wait it out.  When she developed this acrid mouth stench I took her in figuring a sinus infection.  Well she had a barely red throat and the PA decided to check for strep which was positive.  Never having dealt with strep I assumed the smell was from the bacteria of strep.  The Amoxicillan they gave her did not work so we went back for Omnicef and after 2 doses of meds the smell was gone.  Two weeks after meds the smell came back...  back to the Dr.  no strep... no answers.... Ive tried everything from no juice to flossing with no luck.  Is this an indication of a bigger problem?
I think this is an indication of an infection - sounds like it's not strep - that wasn't cured by the antibiotics.  

Will the doc try her on another course of those antibiotics that seemed to help before?
Similar problem with my son and the reason was that he had stuffed paper up his nose, which the Dr, could not see even with her instrument. His mouth would smell too gross but he was otherwise ok. Anyways - my Dr  told me to lay him down, press on one side of his nostril and cover his mouth with my mouth and blow one mighty breath in his mouth, that would dislodge whatever was struck in his nose and come out from the other nostril. Repeat on the other nostril too.   I did this procedure in the Drs. office and of course nothing happened.  2 days later, at home I was talking to my husband and decided to demonstrate the procedure to him. I blew a quick sharp breath and a wad of mucous filled tissue paper flew out from his nose and hit my cheek. Uuuughh!

Ask your pediatrician and see if she recommends doing the same.