Pediatrics Community
sudden invertion of 3 year old child's eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

My three year old girl has suddenly developed an inward turn of her left eye.  This happened yesterday and is still occurring today.  It is intermittently.  She does have a high fever at the moment and some diarrhoea and she vomitted once yesterday.  This is in keeping with a bug that is currently at her nursery.  The temperature does respond to paracetemol and she is otherwise quite well.  I think it is a coincidence that they eye has started inverting now.  Could this be due to the temperature or could it be something more sinister.
There is a specialty caled neurological opthamology. Such a physician will provide defintive answers.

The turning of the eye may be due to muscular weakness or a palsy of one of the cranial nerves, which are responsible for eye movement.  The palsy could be due to infection (viral or bacterial), tumor, elevated glucose levels, or the reason may be unknown. Sometimes these problems go away of their own accord. Rarely there is a surgical option.

I would not be overly worried, but I would go to have an evaluation as soon as possible. Because the eyes won't focus the child may develop headaches (which she won't be able to explain to you)  or trip and fall.
my eyes turned inward when I was a baby.. for no apparent reason ( I will be "very very" old (according to my 8 year old ) tomorrow  so this was 38 years ago.. they thought brain tumor or other things nothing thankfully... they did eye surgery when i was 4 1/2 to correct it.. one was successful the other ended up turning out ward... i have had it fixed as an adult but it only lasted a short time.. i now have very little muscle in the eye to have any more corrections. my vision isn't too bad in that eye but since Ihad the surgery glasses won't help  now and days I think they will try glasses if they find nothing...I am very clumsy and bump into things as I have no depth perception, thankfully I do not have headaches or any other affect...I personally would make an eye exam with an opthamologist who then will refer you to a neuro-opthmalolgist if needed.. if they find nothing great...
good luck
Micehlle