Pediatrics Community
very worried mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

my son is 13 months old, and the other night it looked like he had a blue tint to his lips. he just got over the 24 hour flu, but other than that is a very happy toddler. running around, into everything. i have read many different things on blue lips on the internet, but i am not sure if it persists to him. the things i have read make it sound like the lips are like very blue and you can tell. his lips looked like they had a blue tint to them, but when we went outside to leave didn't look blue out there. if anyone can give me some information on this because i am not quite sure what to make of it. i almost wonder if it is the lighting in our home.
also if i can add another question to this as well. as i said previously, my toddler has always been a very happy baby. hasn't had to many sicknesses. there are times when my toddler just isn't really acting like himself. im not sure why. he isn't sick, but there are times when he isn't his normal playful getting into everything self. please help me.
this happened to my son and we had him tested and he's fine.  I would have him tested through the pediatrician for the most common issues, heart and pulminary.  Is he having a hard time breathing?  If he is then Hospital right away......  Keep your eye on him and have him tested
no he isn't having a hard time breathing at all. hes perfectly fine except for that spell with his lips. which might have been the lighting not 100 % sure. i guess its just one more thing that i have to worry about.
My grandaughter is an active five year old and her lips turn blue when she's cold, for example after a swim.  Her top lip, in fact, turns almost dark purple/black right up to her nose.  She also shivers excessively and seems to feel the cold more than other children.  When she was a baby she was tested for heart and lung problems and nothing was found to be wrong so the conclusion reached was that it was caused by immature circulation.   If this is the problem, shouldn't she be "growing out of it" by now?  Is there anything to be worried about???