Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Acidifier and/or Estrogen?

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Acidifier and/or Estrogen?

My doctor wasn't terribly informative after fitting me with a typical ring pessary. While searching online for assistance in insertion and (Especially!!) removal, I ran across an article that suggested that I might need to use an acidifier or estrogen. I'm 57 and postmenopausal; is there any way I can tell, or is this something a doctor must determine? And why couldn't she do that during the exam? Thanks very much for your help; very happy to have found your site!
Hi there.  I am post menopausal and use estrogen cream.  I apply the cream to my silicone pessary to help to insert it as well as to keep my vaginal walls in good condition.  I also apply estrogen cream vaginally separately around once a week.  

An acidifier is normally to maintain the correct acid balance in the vagina which helps to avoid bacterial vaginal infections as well as yeast infections... however, from personal experience I have had far fewer infections now that I have been using estrogen cream.  You need a Dr to prescribe estrogen cream.

If you are not happy with your pessary look at others that are available.  Your GP and even Urogynes dont always know much about the full range of pessaries available.  I use a T pessary type R which is not available on the UK NHS.  Do some research at to what pessaries are out there and take your findings to your Dr if you feel you need a different one.  You may need to be measured by a Urogynecolgist for your pessary.  

I hope all goes well for you.  Let us know how you get on.
Thanks for the information. My doctor didn't say anything about estrogen, so I wonder if that means my vaginal tissue is in good condition? I'm happy with the pessary she fit me with, it's difficult to remove, but that may become easier as I get accustomed to it (here's hoping!). I haven't had a yeast infection in almost 40 years (when I was pregnant) and just that one time; perhaps that's why she didn't suggest an acidifier. Guess I'll know to ask more questions when I get around to finding a new doctor! Thanks again!
Not everyone can use vaginal estrogen cream but your Dr would be able to help you with this.  Your Dr may not have thought to offer it to you.  My GP didnt and only one consultant Urogynecologist suggested vaginal estrogen for me and it has helped.  Good to hear you are getting used to your pessary.

Good luck.  Come back if you need us.. we are here for you.