Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Antererior and Posterior vaginal repari with mesh, TVT, bilateral vagin...

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Antererior and Posterior vaginal repari with mesh, TVT, bilateral vaginal vault fixation, sacrospinous ligament with mesh

What is the usual /recommended recovery time (to return to work) after having these surgeries?
It is typically 6-12 week heal curve depending on what you have repaired and technique utliized. Some women need abdominal procedure, most are vaginal, some are laproscopic, some robotic-your physician should be able to clarify exactly what is going to be done and heal curve. For example I had rectocele, cystocele, enterocele repair transvaginal with 6 laproscopic incisions and my curve was 12 weeks. I was working at 6 but I work from my home so I was able to flex my couch time. Vital to utilize icing for swelling post surgery (I used a preemie baby diaper ripped open at one end to fill with ice, curve fits nicely into crotch, stays dry on outside), I iced 24/7 that first week and it had a huge impact on my comfort level. After that I used a heated bean bag.
I am going to have adminstration transfer this post to POP community.
:)
Do not have this done!! I did and cannot have sex anymore an i am going to have to have it removed!!
I assume waldosbait that you have mesh placement complications, I'm sorry to hear you've had problems. I had surgery for 3 types of POP, mesh was used in 2 of the 3 things they had to fix and I've had no problems. It makes a huge difference who your physician is, many women have these procedures done without checking physicians credentials or getting a specialist involved and that is a mistake. It is so unfortunate that some women have complications, pain and suffering are significant for them and I'm hopeful that recent concerns addressed at the FDA are addressing these issues. Some women have mesh with surgery, some don't, what women don't realize is that without mesh you will likely need surgery again in a few years because stitching tissues together for support does not hold very long. So many variables with POP.
Sher
I love the idea of the preemie diaper for an ice pack.  I spent plenty of time sitting on gel ice packs, but something shaped like me would have been nice.  I'm far enough in my recovery now that I don't need the ice pack, but that would have been awesome to know at the time.  If I hear of anyone I know having the surgery I will be sure to let them know!
It always makes me happy to hear women want to share the insights they learn with other women-grassroots is how we are going to make POP and aspects of it's treatment common knowledge. Sometimes the little things like preemie diaper icepacs can make the difference between a so-so day recovering and a more comfortable day.
:)
Sher