Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Bladder Tying Surgery

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Bladder Tying Surgery

I am 37 and have been dealing with bladder issues. My urogyn just told me that I need to have my bladder tied . He has been watching it for 3 years (I am afraid of the surgery) and it is has gotten to the point that surgery is needed and soon. He recommended tying the bladder. He will not be using mesh or the sling. I had a traumatic birth with my first son. He was 9.5 pounds, needless to say the delivery was horrible. The same doctor that is doing the bladder surgery delivered my first (he no longer delivers). How long is the recovery time? I have 2 boys and very little help. He said the recovery times vary and we will talk when I schedule the procedure. I have heard 4 to 6 weeks and 8 to 12 weeks. This is a long time. I was hoping it would be easy. Ugh!
Recovery time seems to be stated as 6 weeks but a lot of ladies report 12 weeks for recovery plus it is important to respect your healing due to it being important to the success of the procedure.  I havent had this surgery and totally understand your fears and concerns.  This is natural.  However, many women report that they are glad you have had surgery also.  I assume you are having your own tissues used to support your bladder.  

If you aim to organise for 12 weeks recovery with pre cooked meals then freeze them and sort your boys for care also this will help to reduce your stress.  I also have little help, and know that if I have an operation I will need to do a great deal to organise in advance so I understand your position.  I really like Sherrie Palms book where she outlines a lot of preparation as well as what to expect after your op as to healing time etc.,

The question is can you continue as you are and do you feel this is the right time for you to have your operation... if the answer is that you want to go ahead then read up, get prepared and gather all the help you can from whoever will offer it.  12 weeks max on recovery may go very fast and with a successful outcome this may be a small price to pay

Good Luck with your operation