Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Bladder and Possible Bowel Prolapse

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Bladder and Possible Bowel Prolapse

I went to the doctors on Friday after feeling what appeared to be a lump earlier in the week.

The GP checked me out, and said I had a 'small bladder prolapse' she referred me to the hospital which will be in a months time.

I was on an antipsychotic medication up until 8 months ago and my menstrual kick started in about September, I have always worn tampons but I was unable to wear them due to pain, never thought anymore of it until I felt the lump and the GP confirmed that it is a prolapse. Anyway so she diagnosed a bladder prolapse, but today I thought I would investigate, I am on Olanzapine and suffer from constipation, and I noticed when I checked that there was a bulge coming from the back (I didn't go in far so never felt the bladder one). Could I possibly also have a bowel prolapse?

If indeed I have both a bladder and bowel prolapse, does this mean I am likely to need surgery?

Thank you for your time.
Hi there.  I see you in the UK which is where I live also.  The system is different with regards to prolapses in our country.
I also notice that you suffer from constipation.  So do I and this can be a cause of prolapse along with other factors.
GPs dont always pick up any or all prolapses on examination.  You need to see a Urogynecologist.  Check to see if this is the type of appt you have.  You can call your hospital to find out if you are seeing a Urogynecologist in particular, in a pelvic floor clinic before you go.

If you feel a bulge on the back wall of your vagina then you may well have rectocele is well as a cystocele ( rectocele is prolapse from back wall, cystocele is from bladder side front wall of vagina ).
Depending on the grade of your prolapse/s you may be given exercise, a pessary to put inside to support your vaginal walls or an operation.  

You will have tests done at hospital and it can take time to get the answers to your questions.
Go to your appt with your questions ready and any observations of your symptoms that you feel are relevant and troubling you also.

I wish you well with your appt.  Please come back to us and let us know how you are gettin on.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I will ring and make sure...

Do you know if painful menstruation could be caused by this too, as when younger I had painful cycles, but once I had kids this corrected itself and I didn't get much in the way of pain. Since my menstrual restarted 6 months or so ago, my cycle swings from light 3 days to very, very heavy and very painful for a full 7 days. This may be something else that needs to be looked at.

Thank you I will come back and let you know.

I am not aware of prolapse affecting menstruation in terms of light then heavy flow.  However I wouldnt rule it out.  Be sure and mention this to the Dr when you see them though just in case.
Do you have fibroids?

Yes let us know how you get on and good luck with your appt.
Go to Win Health...they have this product by Fembrace. You can try wearing it instead of surgery.
Good luck