Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Expert Forum
Exercise with Uterine Prolapse

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) FORUM. This forum welcomes questions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Exercise with Uterine Prolapse

I have read that many exercises will make a uterine prolapse worse.  This is where I struggle.  I want to exercise but I don't want to do anything to make it worse.  I have heard that pretty much all ab exercise is out because it will push things down farther.  Is this true?  If so, what exercises are ok to do that will not make this worse?  Any exercises that will make it better?  I have read that squatting helps tone the pelvic floor muscles.. Is squatting for a few minutes at a time throughout the day going to make my prolapse worse?  

Thanks again,

~Diana
I do not know of any data that says you shouldnt exercise if you have prolapse. Based on how you described the location of your cervix, you appear to have stage I pelvic support, which is considered normal for a woman who had vaginal deliveries. If you do not have bowel or bladder symptoms, then this would not be considered significant prolapse, and you should pursue all of your normal activities.

Pelvicuscle strengthening ecercises may help prevent any worsening of the vaginal support.
Dr. Hoyte
i too have a prolapse so i no how you feel1 i get physiotherepy which seems to be helping!!! i have been told no heavy lifting exercises and to wear a pad for any running etc. ive also been told to pull up when exercising too( easier said than done). avoid any exercise that puts pressure on your abdomen. pelvic floor execises does help as does bladder training!!!!
What type of prolapse do you have?  I have a uterine prolapse.  I have been exercising for two weeks now..no heavy lifting or anything, and I can feel my cervix is lower than what it has been.  before I started working out again my cervix was almost a full middle finger length inside, now it is only in about to the middle knuckle of my middle finger.  I won't stop exercising as I need to shed the weight from my last pregnancy, but am wondering if maybe I should start using the pessary my gyno gave me for exercising only.
the front wall off my bladder is dow and i am being assessed tomorrow for my bowel.a few years ago i was given a pesary ring to wear at all times to help.it kept fallin out and as i had seen the gyno putting it in i was too  embarrassed to go back.like you i can feel my  cervix with my middle finder.use the pessary it wiil help beleive me things could get worse.