Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Freaking out - brain looking thing still there 2 months after surgery

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

I had cystocele and rectocele surgery on May 3rd. My first symptoms were the usual pain and that feeling that something was falling out - but most prevalent to me was a new large brain looking thing/ball (an inch and half to two inches) at the entrance of my vagina (not the bladder it self).This was traumatizing to me and disgusting which of course is a horrible way to view ones body non the less your sexuality (I am 44 and have been married 13 years - known him for 15). So after the surgery my doctor said that everything should go back into place including that brain looking thing. Two months later, the pain has gone away - and I do not feel like anything is falling out however - I still have that huge ugly brain thing at the entrance of my vagina. When I go to the bathroom I can feel it protruding so much that it is right below my clitoris. It feels so fat and huge. I am freaking out - please tell me it will go away! Has someone been in the same boat (I have looked for this specific issue online but haven't found the answers). How long until it goes away? Will sex help it go into place? What can I do to get this thing gone!
It is generally accepted that it can take around 3 months to heal from prolapse ops and during this time ( especially at the beginning ) you need to rest and not lift anything much at all.  
I have heard from ladies who see and feel bulges and worry that all is not ok after a prolapse operation but most of these issues are healing related.

However, it does seem to be larger than I would have expected from your description.  What you are seeing could be the folds of the vaginal wall, although this is not certain.  Can you go back again to your surgeon and explain your concerns.  

If you feel your surgeon is not answering your questions or you feel uneasy in any way I would consider getting a second opinion, however, since you are still within the healing period of 3 months you may wish to wait until you are past this time to see a second Urogyne.  

If you are the USA it is usually recommended that you see a Fellowship trained Urogynecologist.  What type of Dr did your operation?

I am sorry you are so unhappy so far with your operation and symptoms.  Try to still calm and focussed if you can, on gaining the correct diagnosis regarding your present symptoms, and rest as much as you can.  It may be too early for you to be able to assess accurately the success of your surgery. I would want to know what was causing the bulge vaginally and would be making enquires as to what other Urogynes to see if it is needed.  Make a plan.

Let us know how you get on.
If it is the vaginal wall - can this bulge be surgically removed?
If your vaginal bulge persists after healing then it would more than likely be a prolapse and therefore you can discuss the options with one or more Urogynes to see what is the best way to deal with it.  Urogynes tend not to want to operate on mild prolapses but one that is so low would be the type to be operated on if that was your choice... however, you need to find out what it is first and then look at the options.

I can understand how upsetting this is for you.  Remember you have some healing still happening in this area so you may well see improvement over the next few weeks.  However, any worries you still can be voiced with your surgeon and also discussed with other Urogynes in order to fully understand what is causing this as well as how to deal with it if this is needed.  

I hope this helps
I went back to my cystocele/rectocele surgeon to ask her about this - she said that's my urethra - it's normal there is nothing I can do about it - which was so weird because it is not normal for me - I used to have a tiny hole for urinating but now it's a big old brain looking thing - someone on one of the other boards said it may be Urethrocele which fits with all of this. Is there surgery to fix this - it is really in my way bulging out of the vaginal entrance. If you can have surgery what is it like? And what else can be done?
I also get told my urethrocele ( I have other prolapses as well ) is normal and ok.. not too bad to operate on.. etc.,  however, if after a few months of healing from your operation there is not improvement in what could be urethrocele you could consider seeing other Urogynecologists so get another opinion.
There are times that I have wondered, just how bad things have to be before there is recognition of a POP problem from some Urogynes.  However, maybe there is an issue for this Urogyne as to whether they simply feel it isnt bad enough to operate on or that they dont appreciate your concerns due to lack of empathy etc.,  

Look at your choices as to seeing another Urogyne, and if you do make sure you relay to them how upsetting this is for you and how it affects you physically.  

I hope you get some improvement as you totally heal from your op and wish you luck.  Let us know how you get on.
Hi this thread may have expired now but I had an anterior repair 12 days ago for a urethrocele. Prior to that I had the same sort of bulge - my down to earth gp said it looked like a small pair of testes! She was right though! The urogen consultant hitched up the urethrabut also tidied up the bulging tissue with a bit of natty sewing. Those stitches tell out after 6 days but so far it has stayed OK. It definitely looks better like a hole again insteaed of a lump. I wonder if the op discussed in the original post didn't tidy up the excess tissue?
Thank you for your input.  It is great to hear positive stories about corrective operations and healing.  
I am sure you comment will help other ladies who are also questioning what is happening with regards to bulge, urethral issues.