Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Hives after hysterectomy

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Hives after hysterectomy

I had a partial (left 1 ovary) laparoscopic hysterectomy, bladder opening repair, bladder sling and herniated bowel repair 11 days ago. Remarkably, feeling pretty good. Only had catheter for 1 day. Bleeding slowing down. Bladder feels better than before. First BM very painful. My problem is HIVES - they started on the 6th day. Very bad. I have never had them before. The worst are on the bottom of my feet. I stopped taking pain reliever and colace. That wasn't it. No food allergy or soap, etc (no new products). My fear is material used in repair and sling? Or research shows maybe estrogen loss will cause hives? Anyone ever had this reaction or medical people see this before? Please help if you can ~ Thanks!
There is a small % of individuals who do react to mesh. Have you contacted your physician? Allergies can occur to any substance at any time, even if you have been using it for some time-for ex, you could develop an allergy to detergent that you have used for years. I have to say I have never heard of hives from mesh but that does not mean it can't occur. I don't think estrogen loss itself is the cause of the hives, yo still have an ovary and although your body may react to the dip in estrogen, it should return to balance until you head into perimenopause. (If you are close to menopause in age, your physician should be checking your levels to see if the removal of an ovary has bumped you to menopausal estrogen levels.)

Please contact your physician, there are medications you can try to level off the hive reaction. Is it still just on your feet or has it spread? If this is a reaction to mesh you should  have something going on beyond hives on feet bottoms. Bottom line however is you should check with your physician. At a couple weeks you start to level off from POP surgery as intense as you had so if any other symptoms occur you'll want to flag your physician right away.

Also for bm, if it is still painful, lubricate the rectum with KY jelly prior to movement. It eases the passage!

Please let me know what you find out!
Sher