Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
How will recoup be after DaVinci robotic sx for sacrocolpopexy w/sling ...

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

How will recoup be after DaVinci robotic sx for sacrocolpopexy w/sling and rectocele?

I am 56, married and have had 5 vaginal births and had a hysterectomy w/bladder tuck 11 years ago. I have rheumatoid arthritis and take a considerable amount of medication for this condition. I now have surgery scheduled for February 4th for sacrocolpopexy w/sling and rectocele repair via Da Vinci robotic by a urogynocoligist. I have a grade 3 prolapse.  What can I expect post surgery? Very Painful? Will sex be better (alot of discomfort now)? I know I need to have this surgery (I have alot of constipation problems, and urinary incontinence), alot of abdominal and low back pain. I have been doing PT for a few weeks now. It has helped somewhat.
Although the heal curve takes a bit of time, once you get past the 12 week point (for some women it is less, for me it was the full 12, depends on degree of severity of individual POP issues) you should be able to resume sexual relations without any pain and will slowly regain sensation (as nerve endings heal up) to the point you will find sex enjoyable again. I found the location of key sensation areas were a bit different  but the sensation was more intense-I'm guessing because pressure that probably had been placed on nerve areas was gone. The first week is a bit difficult but you will have narcotics to ease pain. It is very important that you eat fruit for fiber (works better than grain) and use a stool softner to ease constipation related to narcotics. Once you are off of narcs constipation related to POP s/b gone. Icing is key to comfort post surgery as well, I iced 24/7 the first week-I can give you more info on this if you are interested in this path. (Out of town on wifi so just giving the condensced version right now).
I also recommend you continue to do maintenance post surgery, I look at maint for POP like I look at maint for my teeth and other body balance. (Kegels or other techniques you learned from PT.)

Go into surgery knowing that things should improve for you radically after post-surgical heal curve. I'm so glad a urogyn is doing the surgery, they can guide the best with these procedures.

Good luck! Keep us posted how things go for you!
Sher
Thanks so much for the info. I welcome any and all advice, gladly. I do intend to resume PT post sx. I had never heard or thought of icing post sx, please tell me more about that - when you can. I will keep you posted as things progress. I am sched for urodynamics January 12th. I am having the sx at UMMC - Baltimore, Md- Dr Leslie Rickey. If you know anything about her, let me know. I feel comfortable w/her, and am confident she knows what she is doing. Please keep in touch. Mel
If I haven't gotten back to you in a few days, please send me a PM to remind me, I'll dig on dr and want to send the icing info. I'm out of town and the wifi here is iffy so will answer this in detail when I get home-the poke is in case I overlook in!

Hang in there Mel, I'll get back to you soon!
Sher
Having a comfort zone with your dr is so vital, especially with a procedure as complex as pelvic floor procedures. A urogyn is always the best bet and  you want to know your physician is available to answer questions post-surgery as well as prior to. I'll send you a PM on dr insights (+).
On the icing, it can  have a HUGE impact to swelling (which rolls to pain level) post surgery. I bought baby preemie diapers, ripped one end open, filled them with ice, and used them both in my crotch and across my abdomen. I used them round the clock for first several days, as first week went on I continued to use them but not 24 hours a day. I made a few up b/4 I went to bed so in the middle of the night I could swap them out easily. The soft inner lining is comfortable on your skin (put them on top of your undies or tshirt) and the absorbant diapers retain the water from the melted ice. The curve of the small diapers makes them fit well in the crotch area and stay on top of abdomen well.

I had to go off of narcotics on the third day post surgery (my body hates narcs) and was comfortable with ibuporfen because the ice worked so well.

Hope this helps!
S
Sorry I did not see your msg earlier.  We are in similar situations.  I'm 60 and just had a stage III POP surgery.  My procedure was a laparoscopic sacral colpopexy, rectocele  repair  and mid-urethral sling procedures.  I'm "pasting" a copy of what I sent to SherrieP following my 2 week follow-up.  She has been a Godsend to me because she calmed my serious anxieties about POP.  Here is what I sent on the main Urogynecolgy Community Blog:  

I had my 2 week checkup on Feb 7th.  My urogynecologist said everything seems to be healing very well. I had posted this earlier, but I guess I did not submit it correctly because I did not see my comment when I returned to this site today.  I had a stage III cystocele, rectocele and mid-urethral sling POP repair.  The day of surgery was painful, but durable because they had me on a morphine drip.  I went home with a catheter the day after surgery, but it was removed a couple of days later, thankfully.  I was a "lounge lizard" except for bathroom breaks and walks up and down my hallway every couple of hours for the first week.  I was amazed at how well I felt.  My pain was very manageable with the meds I had. Thanks to your book (which I've read at least 3 times), I was well prepared for the "before" and "after" surgery.  I had everything I needed in place when I returned home.  I used a walker/chair with wheels that locked in placed that had a basket under the seat. I used it to carry all of my "necessities" including my cell phone and reading materials wherever I roamed in my house.  It, also came in handy to move stuff I could not/should not lift.  This week (my third week) I'm up and about without my walker/chair but I still use it to move stuff that I could/should not lift yet.  I have my 8  week follow-up mid-march and will let you know how that goes.  I'm, also, participating in a clinical trial with the Washington Hospital Center using vaginal dilator massage which may help prevent scar tissue bands from forming in the vagina.  Hopefully, it will be beneficial to help decrease the risk of pain with sexual intercourse after surgery.   God bless and keep up the good work keeping us ladies informed and bringing POP to the forefront.  I hope Dr. Oz does a follow-up on his earlier show addressing the surgical aspects of POP.
Thanks for posting your info here too to assist Meldoy, women helping other women is what it's all about!
:)
You are absolutely right!  We did it with breast cancer and heart disease and we MUST do it with POP.  I always ask myself, "How can it be such a COMMON thing that most women never heard of it?"  
I say that every single day; it still blows me away that this has been on medical record since Hippocrates and is still so in the closet-makes me crazy! I'll  keep shouting from the rooftops, things are now starting to shift. If every woman who becomes aware of POP shares what she learns with at least 2 other women, the movement shifts forward!
I had a reaction to the silver nitrate my urogynecologist swab my vagina with on my 2 week post op visit.  Broke out in a rash a couple days after that treatment.  Every time I urinated the outer area of my vagina would itch.  I took benadryl and used vagisil cream which soothed the area and stopped the itching.  I used the vagisil cream every time I urinated after I cleaned the area with a moist wipe. I had a followup with my urogynecologist a couple of days later and she agreed that silver nitrate and I should never meet again!  She said I was healing exceptionally well and she would see me for my 8 week post op.  I'm driving, doing laundry, cooking and VERY LIGHT housekeeping (no vacuuming or mopping floors yet).  I use my handy walker/chair to move things that I'm not suppose to lift, i.e. laundry basket.  My husband and I went grocery shopping TOGETHER so he could carry/lift the grocery bags.  I grocery shop once a month and pickup staples like milk, bread and juice in between if we run out.  So I'm trying to be a good girl and not do stuff that might send me back to the hospital because I do feel that I am capable of doing all the stuff I use to do.  But, I've read too many horror stories of women doing stuff to early and having bad results.  I'm very independent and have difficulty seeing something that needs to be done and not do it.  So, I'm catching up on my reading to keep me occupied and out of trouble.  (I'm posting this to the main Urogynecology Community blog as well.)
I'm really glad you recognized that the combo of benadryl/vagisil would help get those tissues back in balance!
Hi!!! I just wanted to let you know... My surgery took place on 2/4, I was actually in sx for 8 1/2 hours. All repairs were done. Dr says I had ALOT of scar tissue to work through (that was alot of reason sx took so long). She had to patch/repair a place on my lower bowel, as well as two cuts on my bladder. I also have a urethra sling in place. I have to say thank you for all the pre & post sx advice. I followed and believe me it all helped. The first week was rough, but I kept telling myself to rest and made myself get up and walk, every few hours, to prevent any other problems. I went to see my dr last friday (1 week post sx), she removed the Foley cath, did a void trial, and examined me. ALL WENT WELL, she said I am healing very well, that she was impressed that I am doing so well, with all that was done. I was very happy to hear that!!! Tomorrow will be 2 wk post sx. I am doing much better. Somewhat painful still (lower R abdominal, mostly), tired easily- when this happens- I rest, Which is sometimes hard for me to do, I am also one who sees things to be done and I want to do it. I have had alot of help/support from hubby and family, so I know I need to let them do it, and how important it is to listen. All in all. I am satified. Glad it is over, glad I had it done, I can so feel a difference already. I am extremely impressed w/my doctor and the UMMC- awesome. And SherrieP your support, advice- EVERYTHING is right on! Thank You so so much!
Holy moley, that's a long procedure, must have been a mess in there. I'm so happy when you ladies get back to me with positive feedback on your situations and how you did and do all the right stuff to help yourselves. I have a project I am working on that I would like to get feedback from both of you on; am swamped today but will be sending each of you a PM to touch base soon.
Thanks for all your input!! You ladies make my road much easier!
Sher
Meldoy, so glad to hear your surgery went well.  Mine was 5 hours.  I believe the baby diaper ice packs Sherrie P recommends were a big factor in relieving my swelling.  If you don't have a copy of her book, please get it.  I ordered my from Amazon.com.  You will be amazed at the knowledge she has compiled and the "hands on" advice she gives is superb for the "before and after" surgery care because she has lived through it.  Reading her book was like having one of Oprah's "AHA MOMENTS."  I've marked, highlighted, and made comments in the margins of most of the pages as it related to me.

I've been doing very well except for the continuing issue of vaginal itching.  I have a call into my urogynecologist to discuss further treatment since the benadryll and vagisil are not doing a very good job of controlling the itching.   God speed to a quick recovery!
I have an idea what might help with the vaginal itching, I won't be able to get it to you until tomorrow because I am in the north woods on a writing sabbatical and my laptop will be going dead soon (I'm in a local cafe). I'll be at the library tomorrow and can plug in there, hang in there and I'll send you a PM tomorrow with that info! Also, are you  using any estriol cream, with vaginal tissues getting dried out as we get older, applying some may help with the irritation. (Mine feel  icky without my cream...you could apply it to external tissues or internal and extrenal. Since you've had breast cancer I know you have to be careful with estrogen, estriol is the safe one of the three estrogens. Of course you'll need to run it past your dr. Bio-identical path. More info to come on other product as soon as I can access the info at library.)

I'll be back soon!
Sher

Hi there! Meldoy, we have a few things in common. I am 57 and have had 5 kids. I have had a hysterectomy in aug 09, then 2 months later I had to have a bladder tuck due to stage 3 cystocele, then in 2 months I had a rectocele and a vag vault prolapse. I have been making due with a pessary for a year now and am looking forward to having it all fixed, I had a gynecologist for the first 2 surgeries and now I am trying to find an urogynecologist to do the sacroligament fixation. I want to use mesh or something permanent. It makes me mad with dr. not doing it all in the first place, I had a horrible prolapse and he should have known the rest would fall too probably. I am using vagifem, but have estrace cream too, Which is the best? And Sherri do you have a book or do you recommend one for us? Thks Girls! Brenda
I just found your book and order it from Amazon, Will be looking forward to getting it soon! Thks!
I can understand your frustration in that your Gyn didn't see and recommend fixing all at one time. I, too was upset that I was never explained at the time of my Hysterectomy that their was a possibility of POP, I had no idea of any such thing until my recent routine exam w/her. It is SOOO important to have a Urogynecologist do your next sx. Like SherriP has said, they specialize in all of these pelvic floor issues. My doctor has me on Vivelle patch, and she feels this is working well for me. I am so glad I found this site, SherriP is such a godsend. So helpful, informative, and compassionate. It is truly amazing that this condition has been -hidden?- for so long. Women need to be informed!!! When I found this site, and read SherriP's info about POP coming out of the closet, I printed it out and gave copies to my girls as well as my female coworkers! They WILL be informed! I hope you find a doctor soon. Hang in there. Mel
Every time I hear women say they are passing info on to daughters & other women it makes me thrilled-that is the best outcome I could wish for. That is exactly how grassroots movements take hold. It takes an army and we will all do this together! The more we dialogue with other women, the more the word spreads!

Thanks to all of you for all you are doing!
Sher
I agree on the mesh, I had an extensive conversation with my urogyn about this because I am very active, a bit of an exercise nut-wanted to make sure the fix was a one time shot. Gotta say I'm thrilled with the results. Do discuss with your urogyn type of mesh he/she will use, some kinds have risk factors-the type in me is an older tried and true type, good track record. Good luck, keep us in the loop!

Sher
Sherrie, what is the mesh you used? My doc referred me to an urogynecology clinic in a large city. I would like to mention it at my meeting.
I am out of town right now and want to double check b/4 I give you the type, hang in there until tomorrow night and I'll get back to you with a PM to confirm type used.
Hi, My situation was I was getting not much action except delay from GYN and I felt there must be significant things wrong, so I researched for years on the internet.  

This info is for all suffering women out there who do not know where to start to get the right doc and DO NOT USE ANY GYN.  FIND A UROGYNECOLOGIST.  

I finally heard the term urogynecologist.  Then I researched with the American Urogynecology Association (or similar title), for urogyn's in my state.  Starting with that list, which was about 15 - 30 docs, I did in depth research on each one and researched professional records on each doc plus patient comments on each one.  There are free medical websites that will give you all this for free.  Also read everything you can find on their own ofc website.  Narrow your choice to a top 3 or top 5, then call to see if they will take your insurance.  

I found a magical, caring doctor this way and am now 2 weeks post op.  I had cystocele repair, rectocele repair, urethra sling and uterus sling as well as sacro spinal something.  I am requesting copy of the surgical rpt from the doc so I will have the name of the exact slings he used.  I didn't even know I had so much going on and no GYN ever took the time or interest or had enough knowledge to help.  When I asked the doc how others could just leave me in the pain and in the dark so long, he replied that many GYN's just are not knowledgeable enough about the overall complexities of the needs many of us have deep inside our pelvic area, esp with stress incontinence.  I have been spreading the word about urogynecologists.  None of the ladies at my senior center ever heard of these guys!

I never found this web site until today.  For me, the 2 weeks post op are VERY ROUGH.  Wish I had known about the book  -  I could have been better prepared for coming home after surgery.  Using the walker to hold and transport your cel, book, meds, med schedule, etc would have been a huge help!

Thank you for this web site and for all your info!  
armymama
That is absolutely correct, urogyns are the specialist in pelvic floor health. I'm glad you took it  step further and researched the individual physicians, this is what all women should do-not all urogyns use mesh so important to ask lots of questions. A good urogyn will answer all questions and guide you with both surgical and nonsurgical treatment options. As we get the media on board with talking about POP, more women will know where to go to find info they need. Sorry you weren't aware of info in my book prior to surgery but the important thing is you did the right stuff to find the right physician! If you have any questions while in the heal curve, please send them over!

Sher
I like your post.  I call Sherrie's book the POP Bible.  It should be on every women's bookshelf for ready reference because at some point in their life (20's and beyond) they will be glad they had read it.
I sure hope that soon a pc digital exam will be a part of every pelvic exam, would only take the physicians a couple of minutes and may establish a dialgue between women and their physicians ahead of the curve so they know what to watch for symptom wise.
This is such a great site , wish I had found it earlier,  and being three weeks post/op from daVinci supracervical hysterectomy,sacral colpopexy and urethral sling I don't have much to complain about .  Justwant to add to the fact that having an urogynecologist  makes a big plus. So thankful for my regular gynecologist not having a super EGO  insisting to do this himself ,but instead  suggested me to see a urogynecologist to take care of my prolapse/hysterectomy.  My prolapse got gradually worse over the last three years, and I never felt pushed to have any surgery done-- but when getting to be pretty uncomfortable  I had the feeling of  freedom to make my own decision when I felt ready for the surgery.  
Thanks so much for touching base; it always makes me happy when I hear that women are being pointed to a urogyn by their ob/gyns! Sounds like you are advancing into the heal curve nicely! Welcome to our community and if you have any questions as you shift forward give me a shout!
Sher
What is the book that keeps getting referenced to?  I'm scheduled to have the davinci surgery to repair my cystaseal, rectaseal and fix my pelvic floor.  I'm seeing advertisements on tv, warning about the dangers of this davinci sling and I'm very concerned about going through with the surgery.  Please help me decide what to do.
Debbie
I'll send you a PM (private message) about the book title, I am not allowed to promote my book since MedHelp is a website that is supposed to provide health support not promote personal paths. The bulk of complications with mesh surgery are related to physicians not properly trained doing these procedures-these are extremely intricate operations. Urogynecologists are very divided on mesh, they either feel it is very beneficial or they don't like to use it at all because of fear of complications. What no one is telling patients is that without mesh, there is a strong likelyhood that you will need additional surgery down the road because the other procedures don't last long term. It is vital that women do their homework and check their physicians records on watchdog sites. If you do a search engine on your drs name, these should automatially come up. I had mesh for 3 types of POP, mesh was used for 2 of them. I've been very happy with the outcome. I wanted a one time fix. After you read the info in  my PM, if you have additional questions, send them over!
Sher
I just found this site and it has been very helpful.  I am 1 day out of davinci sacrpol;pexy, cervical hysterectomy (took everything) and a cystocospy to ensure my bladder was able to hold water without issue.  I have not taken anything more than motrin but am starting to feel more discomfort than when I did in the hospital.  Wanted to know if I could use ice packs on my stomach as it is quite swollen, along with my ankles and face.  Overall, I cannot believe that I am home after having all this work done.  My uro-gyn came highly recommended.  He has been tremendous thus far.  Just would like to know how long can i expect discomfort before things ease up.
You should have gotten an rx for narcotic pain meds when you left the hospital and should certainly be using something for pain-at least ibuprofen for pain and swelling. Icing makes a significant difference in the post op heal curve for both pain and swelling as well. The first week can be pretty rough but it levels off after that. Total heal curve is typically 6-12 weeks, depending on what all is fixed. I assume by "took everything" you mean they removed your ovaries as well. Did they give you any hormone replacement therapy? Topical hormone replacement really helps with the healing of tissues post op, especially if you are in your 50s and up. The swelling in your face/ankles may be related to hormone shift if ovaries were removed-please check with your urogyn on this.

I agree, it is shocking how quickly we get kicked out of the hospital after such a significant procedure.

Hope things level soon for you.
Sher

On the ice packs, it's a good idea to ice the 1st few days post-op round the clock (on/off), then you can start to reduce the frequency.
In case you have not gotten a response to your message about the "book" being referred too, here is the info.  I call it the POP Bible for women of all ages.  Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) The Silent Epidemic by Sherrie J. Palm.  See my post of Feb 2011 under the Pelvic Organ Proplapse Forum followed by (MUST READ).  It tells of my frantic story of trying to find answers just like you for my Stage 3 POP and how I stumbled upon Sherrie J. Palm.  I had my surgery in Jan 2011 and I'm recovering nicely with a few UTI side affects that my urogynecologist is addressing.  Sherrie, also, has a web site on POP that is extremely helpful and I want to get the word out to as many women AND MEN as possible so as to prevent these types of surgeries if at all possible. I push Sherrie's book as often as I can.  I even have Sherrie as my Facebook friend to help get the word out.  If women knew some basic info about their bodies and POP, which I feel has been taken for granted since it is such a 'COMMON PROBLEM" that should have been addressed years ago, there would be less of these types of surgeries.  If I knew about this problem back in my 20s I would have done things differently, before and afer I had my children and most definitely when I hit my 30s, 40s, 50s.  Now I'll be celebrating my 61st birthday next week and feel I was duped because I should have been told about the possibility of POP after my first child at least.  I feel it's been so undercover because of the intimate body parts involved and "we women" have been so "hush hush" about it that it has prevailed for so long.  Breast cancer and erectyle dysfunction is out of the closet.  We need to bring POP out into the open too!

Sorry, I got carried away.  Here are the web sites.
http://www.pelvicorganprolapsesupport.org/   and http://www.sherriepalm.com
My urogynecologist did a remarkle job of preparing me for the surgical expectations and providing answers, but Sherrie J. Palm prepared me the best for the "AFTER" care.  Please get her book "Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) The Silent Epidemic.  I got it on Amazon.com.  Also, see her web sites  http://www.pelvicorganprolapsesupport.org/   and http://www.sherriepalm.com.  I too was amazed that I was only going to be in the hospital for 1 day following 5 hours of surgery.  I actually went home with a catherer that came out 2 days later.  But I'm doing well since my Stage 3 POP surgery in Jan 2011.  Good luck with your recovery.
I wish I would have found this site earlier.  I am 61 and just had the da vinci hysterectomy, anterior, posterior, sling (the big surgery)  I am doing better now. It has been two weeks.  I went back for a one week visit and the nurse practitioner said every thing was healing well.  They said I can do everything except lift 10 pounds or more.  Trying to walk. I am scared that I will do something to ruin the surgery and I think I am being paranoid about that.  Had horrible bowel issues that are just barely getting better.  Mine was stage 3 also.  
So important that you do the right stuff post-surgery; lifting, driving, baring down for bowel movement (you should be pumping fruit fiber as well as take stool softeners until you b/m's are normal) should be approached at the right time. Grade 3 repair (that's what mine was) means you will likely have a 12 week heel curve but by 3 weeks things are pretty well leveled off. Listen to your body. If you take things slow you will be fine; the most significant time to heal is the six weeks. If you have specific questions about sensations please feel free to send them in; fear of the unknown is our biggest hurdle.

Sher

Sher
My doctor (he is a urogynocologist) made it sound like I would be able to do everything,but not lift.  The discharge instructions said I could drive after one week as long as I was not on narcotics.  I have not felt like it although I have driven once.  I was supposed to go back to work tommorw, but called in for a sub for another week.  It will be four weeks on Wednesday since I had the surgery.  My bowel issues are somewhat better, but not totally.  I don't have pain from the surgery now, but I do get some pulling or shooting type pain in my abdomen that come and go.  
Thanks,
Debra
There will be weird sensations that may occur in the 1st 6 weeks, as tissues heal and shift, it creates different sensations for different women. Also stitched tissues are hard at first but soften up, that takes a bit longer. Longest to heal is nerve tissue which of course impacts sensation.

It's good that you are paying attention to your body closely and doing what is best work wise!

Sher
I am being scheduled to have the surgery this summer.  My surgeon gave me two options, one with the mesh and another without with a 70% of recovery without relapse.  I am only 41, and my last baby was nine pounds, apparently damaged my bladder pretty badly.  I am not familiar with any surgery and am divorced, living alone with my four year old daughter in a very remote area.  The thought of having a foreign object in my body is frightening to me, though my surgeon believes it would last a lot longer with the mesh procedure than without.  I am the soul provider and caretaker for my child and my friends live very far away.  If you could please give me some insight, I have a stage 3 prolapse, and they recommended the sling for my bladder.  If I could get the name of the mesh, as well as your book I would really appreciate it.  Also, how can I manage with my daughter, my mother said she would help, but she is also caring for my grandmother, so I can't say how reliable she may be.  Any information you have would be extremely helpful.
At your young age it is a good idea to consider mesh, as we go into menopause and our estrogen drops, our tissues get weaker and stitched repairs do not last well-typically iin 2-5 years you are looking at additional surgery. I would recommend you seek a urogynecologist for mesh surgery, this is very intricate surgery and it is important that the dr putting mesh in knows what he/she is doing. Also if you have any other prolapse issues, a urogyn will fix those at the same time (there's 5 types of POP).

You absolutely can't do any heavy lifting after POP surgery for at least 8 weeks (drs often say 8, I recommend 12) and this includes picking up your 4 year old. The first week after surgery can be pretty rough, it would be very difficult to care for your daughter during that time. I'm hopeful you'll be able to find someone to come to your house to help out.

Physicians use several different types of mesh so you'll have to get that info from your dr (ask the person who answers the phone to find out for your or talk to a nurse at the office).

I'll send you a PM with book title, we don't self promote on MedHelp so I'll get it to you privately.

Sher
Thank you so much Sherri, what about all of the lawsuits going on with Mesh, this is what has me scared. And what do you need from me so I can get the book, I need to start preparing now... I emailed my doctor and I will start looking into other options.  Thank you again for you speedy response.

LNicole
The concerns with mesh are related for the most  part to who is doing them, it truly takes a specialist to get it right. There are a few gyns who can do mesh procedures well but for the most part you are better off with a dr fellowship trained in this path. I don't sell the book, I'll send you a PM with info for finding it.

Start making a list of all questions that come to mind (including the ones you've asked me) to ask the dr you will be seeing-then you'll have a first hand opinion. PM on the way!
Sher
I had robotic sacrocolpopexy surgery done 3 weeks ago by a urogynocologist at the local university.  While I am improving every day, I still have stomach and bowel discomfort with lots of gas.  Is this normal?  My biggest worry, though, is that after surgery my female anatomy has changed, so that my urethra and vagina are now close together and pulled up inside the labia about 1/2 inch or so.  Things seem so tight that I fear I won't be able to have relations with my husband anymore, and this scares me.  I am 63 years old, and still enjoy being with my husband of 42 years.  Has anyone else experienced this?
First thing that comes to my mind is the urogyn do the procedure or did a student dr do it since it was done at a university hospital. The stomach and bowel discomfort at 3 weeks does not alarm me, it takes a good 6 weeks to get the guts level again after such invasive surgery, but there really shouldn't be much shift in position of urethra. There may still be swelling that shifts the appearance, and discomfort may be related to dry tissues (are you using vaginal estrogen or some kind of lubricant to be more comfortable-something like KY liquid would help). Please ask you dr these questions on your next visit, they are important things to get answers to. I've heard of cases where there is shift in the bottom end but it has been with vaginal entry POP surgery, not with robotic. Please dig deeper with physician. Ask the hospital to send you a copy of your surgical report and read it to see how much detail you can find out about your procedure.
Sher
Thank you so much for answering, Sherrie.  It was so great to find this site, and see what others have been through.  I have been just terribly sad and weepy ever since discovering that my anatomy had been changed so much.  I had a hysterectomy 20 years ago, and an A and P repair 6 years ago, both times by female doctors, and they put me back together beautifully.  This time  it was a young male UroGYN "specialist", and there was a fellow, a resident and a student in attendance.  But I specifically asked that only the UroGYN do the surgery.  They also put in a sling-- would that be the cause of my troubles?  Now I find out a friend, who had the same surgery by the same doctor 1 year ago, has the same problem.  It is not something easy for her to talk about.
If you found a friend with the exact same problem, that screams concerns about the technique of the urogyn (and even scarier, what he's teaching residents.....) Sling should not be cause of problems, the symptoms you are displaying don't indicate any concerns in that part.

Since your friend is a year out of surgery, see if she will share what state her tissues are now in (position, pain). If she still has the same problems, it's a huge flag.

Google your drs name, it should bring up watchdog sites that you can check. I believe vitals has patient feedback on it, see what kind of comments you can find about the dr. In the meantime, make a list of questions to ask at your next post-op appt. Keep in mind that your dr works for YOU, they should not be on a pedestal, they should be held accountable for concerns of patients.

Sher
I am scheduled for  a sacrocopopley 11/13 with total hysterectomy.  I have a grade 4 uterine prolapse, grade 3 cystocele, grade 3 retocele, and a large cyst on my left ovary (right removed 2 1/2 years ago for cyst).  I have struggle and research this surgery at length for several months.  I am having the devinci robotic surgery with mesh repair by a femal urogen.  I have been in physical therapy for 6 weeks prior to surgery.  I will be in the hospital for 2 or 3 days with a suprapubic cath for 10 days to 2 weeks.  I will be getting your book ASAP.  But I meet with my doc for the last time prior to surgery on 11/3.  I wanted your advice and recommendation if possible.  Also I recently lost 80 lbs and really need a tummy tuck, is it possible to do at the same time?
what is the name of this book.  I am having surgery next week and just was reading about what sounds like a super valuable book
Please tell me how to find this book
Please post the information about the book that is referenced in this dialogue . . . my surgery is scheduled for 9/20/13. Kathleen
The book is called 'Pelvic Organ Prolapse, The Silent Epidemic'.  I got mine off Amazon but you can get it on other sites as well.  There is a new edition out now as well.  
Is this the book you wanted?  It is by Sherrie Palm and it is good.
I am 52 years old and  am 9 weeks post op from a sacropolpexy. What an emotional roller coaster. I had a hysterectomy in February 2013, and by May I had a stage 3 prolapse. I found an awesome urogynecologist from the Philadelphia area. Up to this point, I have felt great. The last few days,  I have pressure and burning in my vaginal area. I pray that this is not another prolapse. Not sure I could do it emotionally again. I almost feel like I have bubbles (I know that sounds weird). Any thoughts? I go back to the urogyo dr in 3 weeks. She told me that I could begin all normal activities again. I started back to the gym (modifying lots, because I am afraid of undoing the surgery).  I feel so good, and once or twice, totally forgot that I had such problems.
Thanks,
Wendy
Hi Wendy,
I had pop surgery a little over a year ago.  I also wonder all the time if my prolapse came back especially when I am having pressure and or burning.  I think that is the first thought that comes to our minds and I know we are not alone!  Since this is happening to you 9 weeks post op it could very well be that now you are doing more activities such as going back to the gym ( be careful) that there might be additional swelling which will give you the symptoms of pressure and or burning.  This is part of the normal healing process.  I too went through this and still do occasionally at a year post op.  Listen to your body and rest as much as you can and see if the symptoms lessen.  If you find no relief with rest then you might want to give your doctors office a call and let them know your concerns.  Ice and NSAIDS such as aleve, ibruprofen might help inflammation also.  Hang in there,  believe or not 9 weeks you are still healing from this surgery.  Go easy on lifting and listen to what your body is telling you.  Good luck with the resting!
Hi- I saw your comment about "bubbles" on Medhelp. I had a supracervical hysterectomy and sacral colpopexy 5 days ago to correct a Grade 3 prolapse. For the last 24 hours, I have had the sensation of bubbles or something near the top of my vagina. It doesn't feel as solid as the prolapse I had previously, but I am completely paranoid about the prolapse reoccurring. I had a previous prolapse surgery that failed within 10 days. What did your "bubbles" end up being? Thank you!
I wish I would have seen this site or had someone....my doctor.....anyone, tell me about the risks associated with hysterectomy and POP!  I am a 43 year old who had a DaVinci hystectomy done June 2012. I've had problems since then!  Just had DaVinci sacrocolpopexy, enterocele repair and posterior wall repair, along with episiotomy repair.  WOW....felt like I was drug behind the bus that hit me!  Very sore vaginally and rectally. Afraid to use narcotics in fear of becoming constipated. Primarily using ibuprofen, stool softener, gas x, and miralax.  I am now 3 weeks post op and continue to have swelling and pressure.....should I be worried?  I have been good about not lifting objects, however, I tend to use my abdominal muscles a lot as I am in and out of bed
throughout the day. Difficult to get comfortable.  Is there anything I should be worried about or doing differently. Thank you!!
Hi Jewels007.  Your are still very early on in your healing process.  Good to hear you are not lifting anything.  Most ladies take around 12 weeks for complete healing that gets better in stages.  You say you are taking stool softener but is it Miralax?  As you say, avoiding constipation is a must for you right now, and you may feel a need to use Miralax etc for time to time or regularly from now on anyway to reduce the pressure of any constipation on your PF and healed prolapses.  

Can you try rolling onto your side to get out of bed then bending your knees and pushing your body up with your arms and hands to a sitting position.  I tend to use my arms and hands more to move my upper body about now I have prolapse.

If you are worried at all about your recovery call your Urogyne for advise and an appt if you feel you need one.  You should have a check up with your Urogyne anyway after your operation at some point.  Have you tried using ice ( wrapped up - in a baby diaper can help )?  

I wish you well with your recovery.  Let us know how you get on.