Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
"Icing" after surgery

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

"Icing" after surgery

From what I have read here, icing after surgery is important. This may be a stupid question, but are you icing your belly or your vaginal area? If the vaginal area, is that only when you have had cystocele and/or rectocele surgery?
Feeling a little confused about this as I think about my surgery and 6 wks. Thanks!
The only bad question is the one that goes unasked!

Ice both areas in the beginning, after a couple of days you may be able to ice in the crotch only-it varies by woman and type of procedure. I found rippinng open baby preemie diapers and filling them with ice worked so well,  the curve of the diaper allows you to place the soft inner side in your crotch and across your belly quite comfortably. Make sure to protect the skin from direct ice contact, you should have some kind of soft thin cloth like a hand towel between the ice pack and your skin. On and off (especially for the 1st couple of days after you get home from the hospital) will make a huge difference in your comfort level and the reduce swelling. After a week you will probably find applying a heated "bean" bag works better for comfort; trust your own judgement-if one feels better than the other after a week, continue in that direction.

Hope that helps!
Sher