Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Expert Forum
Is this Pelvic Organ Prolapse?

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) FORUM. This forum welcomes questions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Is this Pelvic Organ Prolapse?

I am 46-year-old and overweight. I delivered my son 16 years ago and forceps were used; my daughter was delivered via c-section. I have had no problems except constipation and hemorriods until lately. I feel as though I have a slight bladder infection with the need to urinate almost constantly. I sometimes have to hold my vagina in order to get the urine to sputter; sometimes I get relief when it flows. Because I suffer from constipation bowel movements have been next to impossible and I am plagued with lower back pain. In order to pass a bowel movement I have to hold myself in the perineum (?) to keep my "innards" from falling out. The bulge can also be felt in my vagina.

There is always a sense of pressure in my lower belly and I feel very bottom-heavy. I have gained weight in my belly but I assume this is due to the blood pressure medication I have been taking. I have a constant urge to urinate to no avail, and again, a slight burning sensation making me feel as if I have a mild bladder infection.

This situation has been getting worse. I currenly do not have medical coverage so please don't suggest that I run to the doctor unless absolutely necessary. I realize that there is a thin wall between the vaginal/anal area and am afraid that I may damage that area and cross-contaminate body fluids which could result in major problems. I will begin student teaching next week and will graduate college in December, so I hope to be employed shortly after the new year which should result in medical benefits. Any suggestions as to what to do to keep myself together until I have coverage?

Thank you.
You are describing symptoms often seen in women with prolapse. Prolapse is usually not an emergency, unless it prevents your bladder from emptying. However, your symptoms can (less likely) be caused by other conditions, some of which can harm you if you do not get them taken care of. You might want to consider going in to a free, or low cost clinic in your area just to have a qualified care provider look at you. If your bladder is emptying well, and there are no abnormal masses on your pelvic exam, you may be able to hold off on further treatment for your symptoms. Many medical schools will have free or low cost clinics where you can be seen. I hope this is helpful.