Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Expert Forum
Mesh or not?
About This Forum:

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) FORUM. This forum welcomes questions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Mesh or not?

I was dx with uterine prolapse grade 3 cystocele and grade 3 rectocele 1 mo ago the OB/GYN I went to wants to do a hysterectomy with a sacrocolpopexy using the da vincible method in Dec. I am hesitant about the mesh-I really do not want it but understand why he discussed this with me. I only have 3 weeks off work. Will this be enough? I do home visits and going to the bathroom will be an issue and of course I will have to drive. Also does weight loss and gain affect this surgery?
1344197_tn?1392822771
Supracervical Hysterectomy with sacrocolpopexy is a good treatment option for pelvic organ prolapse.  The addition of the da Vinci Robot has made this procedure easier and less invasive than open procedure or traditional laparoscopic approaches.   Mesh used in this fashion does have an erosion or extrusion rate of around 3 to 6 % meaning that further operations may have to be done to remove any mesh that is exposed.  This complication is however becoming less common as surgeons do more supracervical hysterectomies vs complete hysterectomies and use better meshes.  Three weeks should be fine.  Weight loss has been shown to improve incontinence.  Lastly, make sure your surgeon has done a reasonable number of these procedures.  15 to 20 would be adequate in most cases.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979