Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Never occurred to me!

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Never occurred to me!

So in hindsight I have been having some symptoms of bladder prolapse for 20 years, since the birth of my second (and last) child, and obvious symptoms for several months, but only last Thursday did it finally dawn on me what was happening.   After a Pilates reformer class that day which included an intense ab workout, I was in the shower when I felt a bulge at the vaginal opening (OMG!!??).  I jumped out and grabbed a mirror and saw this smooth pink bulge where an opening used to be!!  I figured it was a prolapse of some sort, so after some internet searches I narrowed it down to cystocele and on Monday my PCP confirmed my self-diagnosis.   I have my first urogyn appt on the 30th.  
Lordy, why do so many women not know about this???  Myself included!  and I have been in the medical field for 28 years!  (Although as an Audiologist, I toil at the other end of the human body!) .  
I will definitely use this diagnosis to inform others.  I wish I would have known about this YEARS ago.

Your reaction is exactly the same as mine.  I now speak to anyone who is interested about prolapse and also Intussusception of the bowel as this is what I have.  It is so sad to see ladies cross fit training and doing stomach crunches etc etc with no idea what may happen to them, especially after menopause.  I am convinced both my prolapses as well as my intuss were avoidable if I had know what was safe and unsafe to do.  This was exacerbated by years of being told to each fiber which didnt work for me and no referral to a colorectal surgeon or Uroyne until I found out what was wrong.  50% of women who have children get prolapse and lots of women who have never had children get it too.  It often turns up at menopause when estrogen stops and tissues get weaker and less elastic.  Mine did.  POP really does need to be talked about more, to other ladies and girls too so they can make informed decisions about their health for now and the future.  
You are so right.  The gym I belong to is full of middle aged women beyond menopause and none of them know what may be brewing with some of those intense workouts.  I certainly didnt.  I had been doing full sit-ups for the past year until this happened.  Then I read that sit ups, especially the full ones that you do from a supine position put pressure on the bladder.    Really looking forward to seeing the urogyn as I feel my insides are about to pop out!
It is great you are going to see a Urogyne.  Yes sit ups are contraindicated for POP as are a lot of other activities like lifting weights, running and anything that puts pressure on the pelvic organs.  There are plenty of exercises you can do though like kegels and pelvic stability plus many other exercises.  There are specialist DVDs now and programs that help to strengthen the pelvic area etc but first of all you need to know what your Urogyne has to say and what then you can ask them what exercises they may advise as well as any treatment.  
I have five kids, two of which were over 9 pounds and wish my doctor had warned me about bladder prolapse. I told my doctor years ago that I had to go pee way too often. Like yourself I found out my bladder was prolapsing after carrying a heavy kayak one day, then a few days later after working out. I felt "the bulge" and researched what could be going on. I was shocked at how common prolapse is, and how many women don't seek medical help for it. I just had the surgery 9 days ago and already feel so much better. I was leery of the mesh at first but my doctor explained that the small tape sized mesh used for bladder prolapse isn't the mesh that has been causing issues. If anyone gets the surgery, my doctor gave me an estrogen cream to use during recovery and said he is amazed at how fast I am healing.
Thank you Karen81164 for sharing your story.
I am so glad you are doing so well.
Most women are shocked and know little about prolapse when they get it and I was the same.  Things are changing though and women like yourself and others are talking about it and sharing our stories.  

Wishing you continued healing
You are so right on that this should be taught as women as preventative long before we are struggling with pop issues! I wish that it would be mentioned in a non-frightening way in sex education in elementary school, then when we begin going to oby/gyn's for birth control pills or when we are having babies they should go into even more detail and then again with menopause we should hear again how to take care of our pelvic floor to prevent pelvic organ prolapse...preventative would have been so much better then dealing with pop...but I am now through surgical repairs and doing so much better...so hopefully the future generations will learn because we are talking and we can get help with either pessary or surgery...at least to give us back some quality of life!
Please read this and this site. It has helped me tremendously!
http://drrobinson.ca/how-sitting-can-save-your-vagina-or-prostate/

Also here: http://www.katysays.com

Good luck and good health to you. Karen