Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Expert Forum
Normal perineum anatomy

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) FORUM. This forum welcomes questions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Normal perineum anatomy
Hi everyone. I have a question about the female anatmoy that I feel silly asking. I have no where else to ask this though.

I was wondering if its normal to feel a lump/bulge on the perineum. I feel this on my perineum I guess. It's closest to the anus though. Right before it. I was looking at diagrams online of those parts on a woman standing sideways (a medical drawing) and it looked like it could be part of the normal anatomy. Idk. I mean I don't know why I felt down there in the first place. I never have before so I don't know if I've always had it. I'm pretty worried.

I don't drink much water and my stool is hard. When I do drink lots of water it becomes pretty normal but I haven't kept up on it. Is this normal anatomy or what? Thank you so much. I am 19 years old.
Your description suggest bulging of perineum when you are constipated.  This can develop into a problem and you should avoid constipation by proper hydration.  It would be unlikely that you have developed a rectocele or perineocele at you age but it is possible.  A gynecological exam would be able to tell.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD
Oh I'd like to add that the lump or whatever it is, is not visible. It's only something I can feel. Especially when standing