Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Expert Forum
POP options

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) FORUM. This forum welcomes questions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

POP options

I have 3+ cystocele with rectocele and have had a pessary for 2 weeks.  I plan to have corrective surgery in a month. It is being delayed for a trip and to give time for estrogen cream to help the vaginal walls.  I am interested in sharing information about the surgical options.  I have hemorrhoids, occassional colitis, uterin fibroids, and a Bartholins cyst and wonder if these can be corrected at the same time or if it is even necessary.  If taking the uterus is an option, is it better to do that or not?  Also, I am interested in the mesh controversy and whether exercises etc. can reverse stage 3+.  I am having leaks with the pessary and I had none even with the rather bad prolapse.  I understand that some bladders fall in a way that there is not leakage though there are the urinate, stand, urinate again issues and sneezing leaks. Guess I was lucky but now that the uretha is "unkinked" with the pessary, the leaks are here.  Should I just go back to living with the prolapse?  Two years ago I had a colon resection for diverticulitis. It cured that problem but I had severe post surgical complications caused by a virus pushed into my lungs resulting in cardiac and respitory failure and stayed in ICU for a month. Plus due to knick during the lapros. surgery, I had 5 transfusions.  I will go through surgery again if necessary but I am hesitant.  Any suggestions much appreciated.  
Your medical condition is obviously a complicated one.  I would suggest your get two opinions from urogynecologist in you area and make you decision based on their recommendation.  Prolapse can be successfully treated with or without mesh, with or without the removal of your uterus.  Depending you your surgeons experience mesh may be a good option.  I personally use mesh in cases such as yours but again would defer to your doctor for their recommendations.  This link may help you with the mesh question.  Time to Rethink: an evidenced based response from Pelvic Surgeons to the FDA
http://cfurogyn.com/Surgeons%20Reply%20to%20FDA%20Report.pdf

I too have decided to do this,after many tries with a pessary,none stayed in place long..Mine will be in October,after the 10th,and like you,i have concerns..my doctor uses lamb skin instead of mesh..i have no uterus,as mine was removed many years ago,but i do have some bad scar tissue from having 3 children,and wanting to ask her if that can be repaired during this pop surgery..mine also is in stage 3,and i am to young to wait until there are other problems...
I was glad to hear from you, Sweety10. My ap't to discuss the surgery is Oct 1. I'd like to stay in touch to follow your progress. Sounds like you will have surgery before I do. I will ask my dr. about lamb skin for sure.  Does your dr. say why it may be better? On this long vacation, I did pretty well and had no leaks walking miles without the pessary, though I did have to push my prolapse back up at night. ugh. Is your dr. going to "tie" anything up to a bone? or cut and stitch the tears from forcep births along the sides of the vagina?... I think kind of like repairing a hernia. Do you have a rectocele, too, or just a cystocele.
I so agree about staying in touch about this...I still have many quistions to ask her,when i see her next on Oct 10th,thats when they do a test,i can not remember the name of it,but i will discus more then,i dont have anything rectal,just my bladder,that has fell..stage 3 she said...i had a hystorectomy years ago,and have no uterus or cervix,we tried many perssery,s and could not find one to fit me,and when we thought we had,they came out by a day or two later....She does not use any kind of mesh at all,only skin,how it is attached..i dont know yet....I will find out and let you know...