Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Pain and Work

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Pain and Work

I have 3 pelvic prolapses (front, back, and middle) and the doctors say I need a $30,000 surgery, but I have no insurance and I make too much money to qualify for assistance but not enough to pay for all the xrays and tests and doctors' cars.  Also I had a hysterectomy about 15+yrs ago.  All I can do at this point is to keep to limitations to decrease my risk of severe pain and discomfort, and lose weight. I have an ovarian cyst, and extreme pain in the rectum and stomach if i stand for more than an hour, or sit for more than 2 hours. My stomach swells 3-4 inches daily between wake up and bedtime. My limitations are no physical excursion, no standing for long periods, no sitting for long periods, no lifting more than 20 lbs. No aerobics or high impact activities. I can ride my bike some and walk. I am at such a loss.
My doctor doesn't seem to know how to stop the pain; she said use acetaminophen (REALLY?!) and says the operation doesn't promise the ease of pain. I may have to look at quitting my job (Clerk III) for pain relief from the sitting for long periods or bending.and to get some financial help with the operation.   Any suggestions?
I am so sorry you are going through this.  My daughter had an emergency appendectomy and no insurance.  After surgery she was able to negotiate for lower medical costs and get on a payment plan that she could afford monthly.  Perhaps you can discuss this with your doctors business office and with the hospital and see if they will work with you on a plan you can afford.  It is worth a shot and hopefully enables you to have surgery if that is what you decide.  
I had to do all physical work and exercise in the morning before my prolapse got worse as the day went on.  If you can walk and ride your bike in the morning that might help you get your exercise.  Diet can also help with prolapse.  An anti inflammatory diet, preservative and artificial ingredient free foods might help.  
It is hard to tell how much of your prolapse is causing your pain.  I do believe that successful prolapse surgery can and will help in your situation.
Just came to me to check out teaching hospitals and doctors associated with a university.  They usually take Medicaid and even though you are not on it they may be more open to working with your financial situation.
Best of luck to you!