Painful intercourse
up until 6 months ago I had a perfectly ordinary and normal sex life.  Then after a time period of about 2 months of not having sex, my partner and I attempted to have intercourse.  It was so painful that it became impossible to continue.  The best way that I can explain the experience is to say that it felt like the entire vaginal vault had shrunk.  It was impossible for him to actually "get in".  This pain was not a skin irritation, no stinging or burning any of that it was more like a deep ache, like there simply was no space and that he was banging into something in the interior.  Have now been to see three docs and they are mystified.  I seriously am not a nut, never had any problems like this but I am 67 maybe too old, do people shrink in that department.  There is apparently a small rectocele but that is not what the pain is from.  Has anyone had a similar experience.  This is sort of scary since I am getting the impression the medical professionals don't quite get what I'm saying?????
Please see a urogynecologist for evaluation. POP can occur at any time from a variety of reasons; it is quite possible that you have more than one type of POP. Have you had a hysterectomy? Please send more details, it is hard to say without knowing more.

Sher
I am not sure about your particular situation without more details, but here is a general overview of painful intercourse.

Painful sexual intercourse is a condition that plagues millions of women worldwide. For some, the pain may occur at first penetration. This is often a very sharp and specific pain in one location, often at or near the opening of the vagina. For others, the pain is experienced at deep penetration. This is often described as a broader, deeper pain, and has been described as if “it feels like my partner is hitting something” and in many cases, he is (see below). Some women may even experience a combination of the two.
Painful intercourse can be totally debilitating. Complaints range from pain at initial penetration, to pain at deep penetration, to a combination of the two. While physicians may give varying primary or accompanying diagnoses, or refer patients for psychological counseling, our clinical experience has shown us that most intercourse pain is of "mechanical" cause. Most doctors will tell the patient “it’s all in your head” is not only inaccurate, it is totally disempowering.

read more here: http://bit.ly/yclYlq
There should be a reason for pain with intercourse, POP, IC, endo. Please read the following post and see if POP is a fit for you, then toss additional questions over.
Sher

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Womens-Health/Taking-Pelvic-Organ-Prolapse-Out-of-the-Closet/show/1148?cid=994