Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Partial Hysterectomy?

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Partial Hysterectomy?

I'm 51 years old and scheduled to have POP surgery, anterior and posterior including a sling on 11/27. I met with two doctors. who had different approaches as to my uterus, one was going to secure it b/c it was not too bad and the 2nd dr. who is doing my surgery recommends removing it and just securing the vagina stating that it is a better long term fix. If I am not in menopause yet and still having regular menstrual cycles, will this cause me more problems?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks!
It may be a little late to get another medical opinion although you could post on the 'Ask a Doctor' Urogyne forum on this site as well.  I would be asking both the doctors you have seen what success rates the have and the implications of removing the uterus as well.  Clearly you are not through the menopause, however, in the next few years this will happen anyway with regards to you menstrual cycles, however, are your ovaries going to be removed if the uterus is?  Are these doctors Urogynecologists?  If it were me, even at this late stage I would wish to ask questions.  Can you call your doctors office and arrange to see them or at least the doctor who is doing your surgery?  I understand your concerns here.  How is the doctor going to secure you vagina?  Done well this may be a good option.  The recommendation is normally that your operation is as good as the Urogynecologist who performs it.  

You have a right to ask questions JanetS123 even at this late stage.  I hope very much your operation goes well and recovery also.