Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Pessary Use

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Pessary Use

I have a silicone pessary to keep my drooping bladder in place. (My cervix was removed during my hysterectomy in 1983--that's 28 years ago.) The pessary works well. In the three weeks I've had it, I've taken it out twice and reinserted it with minimal difficulty. I would like to know how long I can leave it in before it will again need removal for normal cleaning. (Two weeks? Two months?) I apply Trimo-san vaginal jelly once a week with my finger rather than with the plunger. Are there any contra-indications for long-term use of a pessary, such as development of lesions or cancer of the vaginal opening? Any information will be much appreciated.
Tags: pessary
I'm happy to hear your pessary is working well for you, they can be a great tool for POP maintenance. A pessary can be used indefinetly as long as it is monitored by your physician. In general, pessaries are taken out and cleaned on a regular basis, the frequency varies depending on type of pessary. With a basic ring pessary, they are typically taken out daily, cleaned, reinserted. When I had one I used to take it out every night, clean it, put it back in after my morning shower; since we are laying down while sleeping no need for pessary to be in. Some pessaries are left in place for 1-3 months and the physician will remove, clean, reinsert because the type of pessary makes is difficult for women to do this.

Sometimes women need to have the size of the pessary adjusted after long term use (typically to a smaller pessary) but that is after a few years of use. Biggest concern is irritation causing ulcers but this does not occur in all women. If you are on estrogen replacement therapy, it will help the internal and external tissues maintain strong, pliable integrity. If you have difficulty with vaginal irritation you should ask your physician about vaginal estrogen therapy.

Using a pessary should not increase risk of cancer, but ulcers are a possibility in some women-with routine checks and maintenance, you should recognize this right away if it occurs.

Sher
Also I'm going to have this post transferred over to our new pelvic organ prolapse forum so if you have additional questions, come on over.
Sher
I have a Inflatobal Pessary.it workes well,take out after 24 hours to clean,very easy to do,only problem is the stem,it always hangs down,I have tried pushing it up but it always comes down,can be uncomfortable if sitting for a long time,wish Zi could get it to stay up, the Pessary is great.
Check with the healthcare professional who fitted you to see if there is another type of pessary that will not shift down. There are many types of pessaries, maybe a different style would work better for you.

Sher