Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Prolapsed Bladder after Hysterectomy for Prolapse

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

I am a 65-year old teacher with a bladder prolapse that gets worse as the day goes on.   I will go into the washroom at work to urinate and can't and by the time evening comes, I have to lie down doing Kegel exercises so I can empty my bladder at bedtime.  I gather it's Stage 3 because it feels like it's falling out and protrudes so that I can fell it when I'm walking.

The surgeon just said that nothing could be done about it when it happened after I'd had hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair.  He said that he will not do surgery with the methods they have now so I'm left with this problem that is driving me crazy.  I ordered a "truss" that is ridiculous and just cost a lot of wasted money.  I ordered a book on exercises that say it takes six months of doing them four times a day when I'm teaching all day, marking and prepping at night.  I don't have the time and retiring right now is not an option.

I am getting osteoporosis and am supposed to be doing lots of exercise.  I had been doing it, but have had to stop altogether with this problem.  I have told some of my friends at work but nobody talks about it or knows anything about it.  

Any help you could suggest would be appreciated.  

Joan (Canada)
Please see if you can find a urogynecologist for a consult, I have to assume by the comments your dr made that he/she is either a primary care or gynecologist rather than a specialist. There is no doubt that something can be done to correct your cystocele; you just have to find the right dr. Your symptoms do indicate you are probably grade 3 and it is very difficult to balance advanced POP with exercise (although I always recommend women continue exercise programs for maintenance whether they have surgery or not). I'll send you a PM of someplace you can check for a urogyn in Canada-some provinces have them, some don't.
Sher
Thank you very much, Sherrie.  I feel some hope after being very frustrated and depressed about this.  The doctor was my surgeon whose speciality is Urology and he didn't offer any advice or help for this.  My family doctor is a man, too, but I will make an appointment to see him when I'm off this Thursday to get a referral to a doctor I found on the site you sent me.  The problem might be that you wait months to see specialists around here.  My surgeon is in a small town as is my family doc. so I get in quickly.  The Urogynecologist is at the huge medical centre here.  

I've always been pretty slim and fit and sitting or lying around is really difficult.  I love to walk, but I'll have to wait, I guess.

I have just found this weekend, that if I sort of stand on my head I can urinate--I put my hands on the floor.  Crazy but it beats going to bed at night with a full bladder.

I am so glad I found this site.  Again, thank you very very much, Sherrie.  I don't feel alone with this now.

Joan
At first I thought you meant stand all the way on your head-once I read the whole post I had to laugh a bit-thought holy cow hadn't heard that one yet. :)
It makes sense that "headstand" forward helps release urine, when women lay their tummy on their legs it puts the bladder in a different position. It also sometimes helps to massage the bladder (urethra gets crimped, massage shifts it to a different position).

If you want to try to keep walking, see if your dr would fit you for a pessary or try getting support type undergarment-sometimes that helps.

I know it's frustrating to wait to see a specialist but you want anyone going in to truly know what they are doing.

Sher
You should definitely get a second or even third opinion. You can never be too cautious before deciding to get surgery, especially such an invasive one. If you do decide to operate, I would recommend that you do thorough research into the procedure, brand and device that they are using. Don't be afraid to ask questions, esp considering all the stuff about transvaginal mesh now:
  http://www.newsinferno.com/defective-medical-devices/consumer-reports-slams-fda-approval-system-that-allowed-sales-of-transvaginal-mesh-metal-on-metal-hip-implants/36433
Hi Czic,  

I appreciate your advice.  Thank you.  I did read about the problems with the mesh and don't plan on having surgery for this yet, unless they can offer something else.  I had a hysterectomy last July for a prolapsed uterus and they did both an anterior and posterior repair, but then the bladder prolapsed after that.  I'm not ready to rush into surgery again unless it's been proven to be problem free.  I just want some relief from this bladder thing, especially when I have to stand most of the day.

Take care,

Joan  
The mesh complications are another reason to see a urogyn rather than a gyn for these procedures-it truly takes an expert to get it right. Problem with no mesh is failure rate of surgery is very high in 2-5 years. Very personal decision, important to have all the facts both pro and con mesh and surgery prior to making decision.

Sher
I have an appointment to see my surgeon who is a Urologist tomorrow.  My regular doctor was away so I couldn't get a referral to the urogynecologist.  My surgeons nurse got me in quickly,  I just want to ask him about some kind of relief like a pessary or something, not surgery.  

We just started a new term and I have big classes so I had to stand all day today and then was having a terrible time urinating when I got home.  Fortunately, I've been able to sit and later lie down on the couch tonight after I finished preparing lessons for tomorrow, but I just can't go on like this.  I'm so used to being very active.  

Joan
I am booked for more surgery on May 29.  I was quite surprised, since thi sis the surgeon who did my hysterectomy and he indicated he couldn't do anything for the bladder when it prolapsed again.  This time he said I have a hernia higher up and he wants to repair that before it gets worse and will do the bladder at the same time.  He mentioned the mesh and said that there are a lot of lawsuits in the States over that but the only other alternative at this point is my own tissue which isn't working too well, so I guess it might happen again, but I have to have the hernia repaired anyway.  
POP will get worse as the day goes on, especially for women on their feet-also difficulty urinating usually indicates a more advanced level of POP. It is true, tissues stitched for support won't hold up long term thus the need for mesh procedures. Important to check into how many of the procedure type he wants to do he has already done and what his success rate is. I'm hopeful you were fitted with a pessary to give you some comfort while you wait for surgery.
Sher
best of luck! hope it goes well
Thank you for the support, czic.  

Sherrie, thank you as well.  No, he didn't even mention a pessary and I was so happy he could do something that I forgot to ask.  Afterward, I was left with questions, like what kind of surgery does he intend to do and what are the long term chances of success.  I think I will call and leave some questions for him.

I hate to think of going through this surgery and having the bladder prolapse again.  This has been such a nightmare.  The school was unbearably hot today with a sudden heat wave and I could hardly walk out of there.  Also, I have had to stop exercising altogether, and have to lie down in the evenings, just so I can empty my bladder at night.
You can also try wearing  a support undergarment, some women with POP find them too uncomfortable, others can tolerate it ok-depends on organ position. If you think you can tolerate it, wash your hands and gently push tissues back into vaginal canal in AM (when first rising they are usually not bulging as much) and then put on the support garment. When you have a bowel movement, "bridge" your fingers over the labia (again clean hands) and push up while you bear down to have the bm. A quick fix in place of a pessary is a tampon but this should only be done once in a while if you are on estrogen therapy, not a good idea at all if  you are not. Delicate estrogen deprived vaginal tissues are very sensitive.

Sher
Thank you, once again, for the good advice, Sherrie.  I am soooo happy I found this forum and am not alone with this miserable problem.  I have just put in a super plus tampon and had no trouble because it was a plastic inserter.  I am on hormones because of research on Alzheimer's since both my parents had dementia in old age.  I had been on the minimum but have gone back on .625 mg. when the bladder prolapsed after I'd already had surgery.  I've been hoping it will help the vaginal walls thicken up again a bit.  I'm surprised this happened, since I went directly onto HRt when I went through menopause at 55.

Anyway, I'm now wearing a super pad, a super plus tampon and am optimistic that the bladder will stay up at least a little better as the day goes on.  I've had a migraine on top of this (probably because I'm on hormones) but you can't win.

I'm going to look up a book I have on exercise with prolapse since I'm feeling like a couch potato which is not me.

Thanks, again, for being there.  You have no idea how much it means to me.

Joan
Google Tasha Mulligan, her exercise regimen for POP is great and she has multiple videos online.

Best for general exercise is swimming (organs float and it's aerobic and works all muscle groups but few have access to a pool), most pilates is good, Pfilates is targeted as pilates + pelvic floor. Anything that jars the guts down is a bad idea without internal support.

It's a good idea to build up the vaginal walls prior to surgery-will help the heal curve!

Sher
Thank you for all the help and suggestions, Sher.  I will definitely google Tasha Mulligan and start her exercises.

I have to tell you, the tampon idea is working wonders.  I have had no problems at all and was able to be out in the yard today working on the pond and went for a nice walk with my husband tonight, rather than lying on the bed all evening so I could urinate at bedtime.  I can go to the bathroom anytime and drink all the water I want.  It has eliminated the problems altogether and I am looking forward to teaching tomorrow and standing all day will be no problem.

I agree with you, though that exercise before surgery is a very good idea.  I have a health club membership and can take Pilates classes and use the pool.

Thanks again for being there.

Joan

That's great news Joan! I'm so glad it helped and you are able to be more active comfortably. It always makes me happy when women are proactive!

Sher
I am going in for surgery at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow.  I'm really nervous though I went through this a year ago.  Any last minute advice?  He is going to repair the bladder again and also another hernia further up.  I am planning on doing Kegel exercises all summer since I'm off work now and but am really worried about a recurrence.  

The tampon has worked to a point, but some of them were soaked in urine when I took them out so it has been anything but ideal.  I had to change them quite often because of this.  I sure hope this surgery can give me some relief.

The funny thing is that the substitute teacher who is replacing me has the same problem but not as bad yet.

Joan
Tampons should not be urine soaked when they come out,the uretha hole is an entirely separate hole from the vagina. I'd tell the dr that info. It is important that you take the appropriate time to heal post surgery, no lifting/driving/vacuuming until released. Icing is of great benefit post surgery for  both swelling and pain. Have your post op area at home set up prior to leaving for hospital so you don't have to worry about it when you get home. Have a pillow handy in case you need to cough or sneeze so you can hold it against the abs. Take a garbage bag with you to hospital to put on seat, makes it easy to swivel into position.

Good luck, hope things go smoothly. Let me know how things turn out once you are up to writing. I'll keep you in my thoughts!

Sher
I'm home and the surgery seemed to go well.  I haven't any pain today and am just not moving around very much.  I'm still bleeding but hoping that will stop soon since it's just from incisions.

I chose to have the freezing instead of general anaesthetic and it worked  well.  Just a shot in the spine and something to make you not anxious and so that you can't remember what went on in surgery.  I have trouble remembering much of anything.  The freezing took about 5 or 6 hours to come out which kept me immobile in bed but guess that's not such a bad thing.  It was Day Surgery but I was there about 9 hours in all.  

I spent the night on the couch in the livingroom since we have a two storey house.  This is the first time I've come upstairs where my computer is.

I want to be sure I never have to go through this again and plan to do everything I can to strengthen my pelvic muscles after this ordeal.

Thank you for all the support and suggestions, Sherrie.  I really appreciate it and am so glad I found this forum.

Joan
Glad this is behind you Joan. Please try to avoid using the stairs this first week, give your tissues a chance to heal. (Boy do I know how hard it is to give up the computer for a few days.......)

You're one brave soul, I'd be terrified to have procedure w/o being knocked out (and a big needle weenie to boot!).

Please do very little this first week, absolutely no lifting! No vacuuming! Be a good girl and lay low!

Sher
i had hysterectomy last august and operation for prolapse bladder two weeks ago.if anyone has this problem,i would say go for the surgury.well worth it..two  weeks later i feel little tired but thats all,no pain what so ever
Thanks for sharing audro!
Sher
I had the same surgery at the end of May as you can see here.  My advice would be to be very very careful about lifting anything heavier than you can do with one hand easily.  I am also very careful not to get constipated (lots of fruit and vegetables) and also ordered the book that Michelle Kenway puts out regarding which exercises to do and not do.  You can order it online by doing a search for her name.

Good luck to you.  Sherrie is a wonderful help and knows this field very well, by the way.

Joan
Great suggestions on the lifting and fruit Joan. :)

There is also a great dvd by Tasha Mulligan on how exercises for pelvic floor.

Sher
Sherrie, I have had two sphinterotomies for supposedly bowel obstruction.  When he suggested a third, I went to a second surgeon for another opinion.  Dx'd rectocele and suggested splinting, lots of Vegs, fibre and good bye.  It was only after I tried the splinting that I found "the bulge" almost to the vaginal opening.  I get paps, saw two colon surgeons and neither mentioned POP as a possible issue.  My life has been tremendously affected by bowel constipation to the point where having a complete movement allows me to leave my home.  More times than not I remain home - hitting the bathroom three and four times a day to empty a little more.  My whole life has become wrapped around my bowels.  And here's one rarely mentioned in the literature.  Forget about splinting.  Digital, yes that's right having to insert your finger inside your anus and hook the feces to remove.  They are not hard, are well formed but imoveable.  Try telling that to a lover or friend.  Dr.s try to appear calm but never reply.  How about that as a future - sticking my finger up my behind in order to leave my home.  I feel pain as I track it down to the anal orifice then swollen rectal pain with back pain.  I'm really angry that I had seen all of those dr.'s and not one mentioned this.  As a result, my self esteem has tanked, social life almost non existent, depressed and filled with self disgust.  I'm seeing a Urogynecology for the first time in August.  I don't like the reference to this disorder as non life threatening.  It certainly is emotional life threatening.  I get the sense that it's the male patriarchal cliche that has failed to recognize the significance or lack there off these anatomical issues.  Through the two sphinterotomies and constipation there has always been the inference that as a post menopausal woman it's a given that my emotional life most be the cause.  It's actually a relief to find the cause.  I have no doubt that POP has been ruling my life for years.  
You've done a great job stating what our biggest obstacle is Lynne; we absolutely have to change the mindset of the medical community. POP has been on medical record for over 3000 years, largest causal factors vaginal childbirth and menopause-the 2 things most women experience-yet no one tells us about it ahead of the curve and women typically go from dr to dr to find answers. So much lost time and money.

I'm hopeful you'll get the answers you need from the urogyn you are ssing in August. Please feel free to send any questions this way that you need additional clarification on. Good luck, I'm hopeful your visit to the urogyn will shift the backdrop for you. Stay strong, there are over 3 million women in the US with POP, we all need to bang the drjum to shift the mindset into the 21st century.

Thanks so much for your post!
Sher
I agree.  My surgeon says he's done hundreds of these operations and it's very common, yet I hadn't even heard about it until an elderly relative had it and was shocked when it happened to me.  You hear about prostate problems in men all the time.  
What makes  me crazy is how freely ED is talked about on prime time TV (at least it is here in the states) and POP dialogue on  TV is almost nonexistant.
We get American programs and ads here, Sherrie.  I think the situation is the same in both countries, we are so close.  Sad, but we still have a lot of catching up to do in making women's issues equal to men's.  I found I was embarrassed to tell people at work when they asked what kind of surgery I was having, but they would reply with "Oh, my mother has that same problem" or "my grandmother had it".  

Lynne I sure sympathize with you for the ordeal you have to go through.  I had to have  a rectocele fixed twice with the other surgery but it never got that bad.  On the other hand, I had to practically stand on my head to urinate and wear heavy duty tampons during the day just to be able to empty my bladder.

Joan
At least some women were familiar with it, I often speak with women who like me never heard of it at all until diagnosed. Hopefully there will be a change in screening and the dialogue that comes with pelvic exam.
:)
Hi i am so scared i am told i need  a hysterectomy and i have a prolapsed bladder i am waiting for a scan on my pelvic i am 48 and feel so alone igive up my job to another have discoverd this and know how i can start my new job
Marmar please relax and don't worry about it.  I've been through surgery like that twice in a year and, at this point, am so glad I did it.  There was not a lot of pain and it was taken care of, in fact I went off the pain killers quickly.  They used a general anesthetic for the hysterectomy and I didn't know anything until afterwards and then only the first day was a bit rough.  Knowing what I do now, I'd do it all again without even being nervous.

You will need 6 to 8 weeks to recover which might be difficult with your new job, but maybe if you tell them you didn't realize this they will understand.  If it's a sitting job, maybe you can go back sooner but you sure can't do any lifting or heavy work.  The key with a prolapse repair is not to lift and to let it heal then be careful what kind of exercises you do in future.

I wish you luck and that all goes well with your new job.  If you have a surgeon you can trust, I'm sure the surgery will go well.

Take care

Joan
Well stated Joan, it is important to find a good physician experienced at POP repair and then do the right stuff post surgery. I believe the no l lifting should be extended a bit beyond what the drs recommend to 12 weeks, important if you have a job lifting anything that you get a medical excuse to give to them excluding you from lifting.

With proper repair, you feel better after surgical heal curve.

Sher
I am 26 just had my second child in April, I have a prolapsed uterus the doctors says. I can see it, I'm completely embarrassed. I've been doing kegels since I noticed it. I've been working out and am in terrific shape ( below my prebaby weight). I'm active duty military so I'm always busy. This last two weeks I've had some extreme lower back pains. My doctors appt is on the 24th of OCT. What do I need to know or what advice can you ladies give me. I'm scared wish I could do something to make it get better. Ms Sherrie thanks so much for all the advice you gave Ms Joan. Ms Joan you are a very strong woman.
Hi Tamaro22

You dont say what kind of Doctor appt you have on the 24th of Oct.  It is important to see a Urogynecologist in order to look at your prolapsed uterus and also to see if you have any other prolapse issues as often low back ache can indicate a possible small and or large bowel prolapse.  It is best to go to the right Dr to look at all of this at the same time if possible.

As you are on active duty you may be lifting weights.  Be aware that lifting is not a good idea with any form of prolapse as the pressure pushes down onto the pelvic floor and can make it worse.

Working out may also make a prolapse worse as well if it involves stomach crunching and weight lifting.  Try Pfilates, Tasha Mulligan exercises and swimming like Sherrie recommends if you want to continue to keep as fit as possible.  I used to do lots of sit ups and go running and made my prolapses a lot worse but this doesnt mean we have to give up on keeping fit.

I wish you lots of luck with your appt.  Have your questions ready and make sure you know what kind of a Dr they are.  Lots of ladies get 2nd and 3rd Urogynecologist opinions.  You may be offered an operation, a pessarie to keep your uterus in position or Physio therapy.  It important to feel comfortable with your decisions as it is your body.  
I too have a prolapse bladder.  I am 72 years old.  I can actually see my bladder with a mirror.  When I walk, I feel it halfway out.  I have had a cystoseal as well as a rectoseal several years ago.  The surgery does help for this problem but I hate to tell you that it can prolaspe once again.  I had a vaginal hysterectomy  30 years ago and now it is out again.   I hate to go in for surgery again but I think that is the only solution for me.
I am so sorry to hear of your present situation.  I spoke to my GP only yesterday about mesh repairs and POP operations and the advise was that they often fail at some point.  I know this is not the opinion of some Urogynecologists though.  I hope very much that you are seeing a good Urogyne and if necessary get more than one opinion for your next procedure/s.  

Did you have mesh operations before, and how long in years did your operations hold for?  I wish you the very best with your decision and recovery.
i would like to say that i just had a a/p repair which is a cystocele and rectocele surgery.It has been 2 months and my bladder has prolapsed already.Need less to say I am going to see another Dr on Fri.He wants to do another surgery....any suggestions?
Did you have mesh and is your surgeon a Urogynecologist?  I am sorry to hear about your cystocele repair failing so soon after your operation.  It is very important to have prolapse procedures done by a very experienced Urogynecologist.  Ask how many POP repairs they do a week and what success rate they have.  In the USA some Drs recommend that the Urogyne you see be fellowship trained.  
I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get on.
Did you have the mesh or what was the procedure to lift the bladder?  I am facing this now as well & certainly am becoming aware of scary issues with the mesh.
I have been reading the comments and I am getting more frightened. I had a complete hysterectomy 10 years ago. Last week I was told that my bladder had dropped. I can feel it and have been experiencing lower pain in my back and lower abdomen. I am schedule to have surgery in February. I have started reading all the information I can and I am glad I found this sight. I appreciate any and all comments and advise on this matter. I had complications with my hysterectomy because of endometriosis and fear having this surgery.
Spend time researching any recommended procedure and ask your Urogynecologist about their success rates in that procedure and how many of these operations they do a week.  

You dont say how your prolapse is affecting you or what grade it is.  Hopefully you have time to consider your options and get more comfortable about the choice you have made.  Look at all your options.

Good luck.
I understand how fearful you may be about an operation on your prolapse.  Do you know if you had the top of your vagina suspended when you had your hysterectomy?  Without suspension, you would have been and may still be more prone to further prolapses so if you have no suspension is this to be rectified at the same time as your bladder prolapse operation?

It is important to feel comfortable with any procedure you have done so write down any of the questions you feel you need answering and find out how many operations of this type your Urogynecolgist has done and what success rates they have.  If you have mesh questions for your Urogyne, ask them about this.  

I hope all goes well for you.  Let us know how you get on
I'm sorry I haven't been back to this forum for well over a year.  I've been so busy but have decided to retire this June.  The second repair I had lasted a while, but I have a partial bladder prolapse again.  I am keeping it under control and get regular checks with the surgeon.  He said that it could stay like this for a long time but unless it gets worse or a new, safer method comes out for repairing it more permanently, I guess I have to put up with it.

To answer someone's question, no I didn't have the mesh repair.

Good luck to all, especially those facing surgery.  I would do it all again and have no regrets.  I'm just waiting now for something that will hold my bladder up permanently.  It's still better than it was before the last repair.

Take care.

Joan
Thank you very much for coming back to the forum to answer member questions.  
I am sorry to hear you are experiencing further bladder prolapse but am very glad you feel you are better than you were before you latest operation.

I dont remember if you have considered using a pessary but you could ask your Urogynecologist if they feel you could use one and they could fit you at the same time.  

I wish you a good retirement.  Good luck also for the future.  We are always here for you if you would like to update us or ask further questions.  
I had a total abdominal hysterectomy at 36 due to stage 7 endometriosis. The endo was so severe it could no longer be managed with hormone treatment or regular laparoscopies. I also had a prolapsed uterus. Now, six years after my hysterectomy I have a prolapsed bladder. I can feel it and see it and it is affecting my ability to empty my bladder. I am on my feet all day as a teacher and often don't get a chance to go to the bathroom during the day - nature of the job. At night my sleep is disturbed as I am up and down to the bathroom. I am booked in to see a gynaecologist, but will enquire about a Uro/Gyn. In the interim, I seem to be suffering from one UTI after another. I am lethargic, have aches and pains in the lower back and abdominal cramping. I am very conscious of hygiene and am worried. I am so tired all the time. Is this normal for someone with a prolapsed bladder? My GP had no answers.
Did you have your vaginal vault suspended when your had your hysterectomy?  
I am sorry to hear you are so unwell.  I do feel you need to see a Urogynecologist as they specialize in prolapse and I wonder if you have more than one prolapse.  You will need an examination to be sure and they will also do tests.  Have you considered if you could have yeast overgrowth in your bladder?  
UTIs and bladder pain are more common with bladder prolapse than we are lead to believe at times and then we meet a brick wall with some Drs.  This has happened to me as well.  
I too get tired and have similar pain to you.  Some of this is follicular cystitis and possible IC for me as well as prolapses and PF Dysfunction.  
A pessary may help you at least in the interim with having to stand up all day working while you find a longer term solution.

Your GP wont understand most of your symptoms but they can refer you to a Urogynecologist.  Keep going and ask the questions.  If you hit a brick wall with a Dr, they may not know what is wrong so try another door to knock on and gain information along the way.  

Good luck and let us know how you get on.  
Thank you for all the info on this page....Just now having what i think is somewhat of a bladder prolapse.  I am going to get a consult with a
Uro/GYN too to see what they say. Had exam post UTI and yeast infections lately and family doc never said anything....but i too can see with a mirror the bladder....not huge but there for sure...Good grief.....who knew....so glad to have found you all.  Blessings to you from Michigan  ...

Joy

Joy
Yes it is often a shock for us to find we have bulges vaginally and great to hear you are going to see a Urogynecologist to get a proper diagnosis.  

Good luck with your appt
Let us know how you get on
You gave all such good info, I also have the bladder falling and leakage,  I am not on hormones, took myself off 12 years ago.  So can I use a tampon or not and what is the other plug you suggested. I am 65 and in good shape and excercise all the time.  Tired of this new body part just hanging around.  Afraid to get involved with a new guy because of this.  
Do you not use estrogen cream either?  It is a good idea to use the cream vaginally in order to keep the vaginal skin as healthy as possible as long as your Dr is happy to prescribe it for you.  
Some ladies take bio identical hormones as well which are a bit different to HRT and may be tolerated for a longer period.

Do you want to use a tampon to keep a vaginal prolapse supported from coming down?  A pessary is a better option especially if your vaginal skin is dry etc as the tampon will dry out your vagina and could create drag when you pull it out.  A pessary is best measure for by a Urogyne and there are many different types that are for different or multiple prolapses.  Do some homework before you go to your Urogyne and take leaflets with you.  I have a silicone pessary which is very helpful.  

I understand your worry with the possibility of a new partner, but men rarely notice our prolapse bulges unless they are hanging externally.  
Getting a proper diagnosis from a Urogyne will help you to know exactly what is going on and what treatment choices you have.  Take a pessary catalogue with you and discuss this as well.

Good luck and let us know how you are getting on