Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Sex following surgery for POP

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Sex following surgery for POP

I am going to have surgery in 10 days for cystocele  (stage 3) repair.  I will be having a Burch colposuspension along with a  paravaginal repair.  Had anyone had experience with this particular surgery?   I know I have to wait 6 weeks to have sex -- but, has anyone had problems with sex following this type of surgery?  
Hi Peg618.

I havent had this surgery myself however as far as I know both your procedures seem to use stitches and not mesh, although correct me if I am wrong.

It is normally mesh used for anterior and or posterior prolapses that can cause difficulty with sex if they start to migrate into the vagina although these problems are said to be more about how experienced the surgeon is rather than necessarily the mesh itself.

I assume your operations are being preformed by a Urogynecologist?  I am sorry I cannot be more precise but recommend you also use the search engine on this site with key words to see if any other historic messages match up.  

Expect swelling and take it easy after the operation.  No lifting anything heavy either.  Some ladies use ice packed into daipers to take this down if necessary.  Please get back to us if you have another question.
Just had anterior repair and vaginal vault suspension. I was told no sex for eight weeks.  I also heard from women that the first time can be very sore and they found it best to take things slow in the beginning.  My surgeon also said that sometimes this surgery can heighten your desires because finally everything is back where it should be and blood flow is improved in that area.  Have you voiced your concern to your doctor?  I would ask if your surgery will cause any change on sexual intercourse once you are healed. I know that this subject might be a little hard to bring up but I hope he can give you the answers you need.  Remember peg618 that you are in control.  Good luck on your upcoming surgery!