Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Expert Forum
Surgery set but still unsure at times

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) FORUM. This forum welcomes questions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Surgery set but still unsure at times

I found out I had a spot on my ovaries and went to a gyn...she in turn told me I had pop and sent me to a urogyn for a second opinion.  He said I had cystyocele (bladder), rectocele (large bowel), enterocele (intestines), uterine.
I knew I had bladder problems, peeing when I laugh, cough, and sex.  I started leaking when I tried to get back to walking.  I stand up to nine hours a day.  Most of my life has consisted of large loads and my mom had this problem.  I learned how to handle it.  
The past two years have gotten worse.  I cant keep tampons in.  I actually cramp worse now on my periods.  I am in constant pain in the small of my back. I have never been regular when I have bowel movements.  I now am 90% of the time pushing to get movement to release them.  I am even pushing in on my stomach to help.  The other 10 I have to run to the bathroom.  
I have been searching the internet and this is the best site that I have found.  I was reading sites about surgery and they were not good and scared me.  I have to say your site has eased my mind, but I still go back and forth.  I have to meet with the anethisiast  in a couple of weeks.  To be honest (if you cant tell, Im still scared.  I think that I am not bad enough to have surgery.  Oh I have stages 1 and 2.  When I read one of the ladies talk of hers being a three and couldnt go, I dont want to get there.  I need some one to talk to me thru this.  
Sounds like you need to be evaluated by a qualified pelvic floor specialist. Someone with experience evaluating prolapse and incontinence. Urine leakage with coughing laughing, sneezing, and activity sounds like something called stress urinary incontinence, and depending on how much it bothers you, can be ignored, treated with specialized pelvic floor strengthening exercises, pessaries (special vaginal inserts), or a type of surgery called s "sling procedure". If you are leaning toward surgery, most specialists will want to test your bladder with a test called urodynamics to make sure you have the type of incontinence that can be treated with the sling procedure. If the test shows that you have something called urodynamic stress incontinence, and it is bothersome enough for you to want to have it treated surgically, then the sling procedure might be helpful to help you get rid of your leakage symptoms. But be sure to seek out a surgeon who is experienced at putting the slings in. Be sure to ask how many slings they perform weekly, and where they received their training.

Prolapse (cystocele, rectocele, enterocele) is a falling down of the walls of the vagina. It is not a "life and death" matter, unless the prolapse is causing you to have problems emptying your bladder. If you cannot see or feel the bulging, then it is probably not serious enough to require surgical treatment. Symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse (sometimes called  POP), include urinary frequency, urgency, incomplete emptying of the bladder, constipation (difficulty emptying your bowels, or needing to manually assist bowel movements). Some women also report low back pain, worse at the end of the day, and problems with intercourse. If you are not having these symptoms, you may not need surgery. Most women who have had one or more vaginal deliveries will have some amount of prolapse, but for the vast majority of these women, it is mild, and does not need to be repaired. There are nonsurgical options for treating prolapse, including pessaries, and pelvic floor exercises. There are also surgical options, which can involve using sutures (stitches), or synthetic hernia meshes placed through the abdomen, or through the vagina. Before you have surgery for prolapse, make sure that the prolapse is actually bothering you, and then choose a surgeon who has lots of experience and training inserting the meshes or sutures for prolapse repair. Prolapse repair surgery is highly specialized, and even though the risk of complications are small, you should become aware of all of the options for repairing prolapse, including laparoscopic, open, and robotic abdominal approaches, and also trans vaginal approaches, with and without the use of mesh. YOu should also be aware of, and understand the recent FDA statement on the use of meshes placed transvaginally. THis can be found on the FDA website. Do not hesitate to email me if you have more concerns or questions . You should also check out this excellent support group  http://www.pelvicorganprolapsesupport.org/  . it is run by a woman who was a POP patient herself, and may have some good insight for you. Remember, prolapse is not an emergency. You need to take all the time you need to find out everything you need to know BEFORE you have surgery.