Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Urine leakage after bladder suspension surgery

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

I had the pubovaginal sling done.about 2 and half months ago. I'm still leaking urine when I sneeze cough and stretch. I did have an infection but it's over. Should this still be happening? I don't want any more surgery to stop this if that's an option. What else are the Drs. trying?

Diane
sounds like bladder sling failure, and the only way to correct that would be another surgery
Hi Diane,

What kid of physician performed the procedure? As much as I hate to say it, I do hear about sling failures from time to time; you really are best off having POP surgery done by a urogynecologist-the specialist for pelvic organ prolapse. If attachment points are too tight or too with a sling, complications are inevitable. You should absolutely approach your physician about this and insist on a reason why the leakage is occurring as well as what can be done to fix it. It does take a bit of time to get level after POP procedures but enought time has passed now and this should not be occurring. There are many types of POP procedures; the types and degree of POP you have determine what technique gets used (as well as dr doing the procedure, urogynecologists utilize many types of procedures, sometimes other physicians are limited because they have not been trained in a variety of procedures). Please follow up on this, it is doubtful it will get better on it's own.

Sher
My Dr is a Gynecologist, recommended by my health care doctor. The 1st one did come undone after about 2 years. The second one I think got a hole in it. This last one was made out of the material that they use for hernia's. The doctor thinks alot of it has to do with the fact that I'm older and my job was lifting 20 to 25lbs around all day. A 60+ 4'10 women should not be doing that kind of work.I'm going back in on the 17th to see how it's been going, he's suppose to address the problem then if I still have one.Thanks for your advise, gives me something to think about.
It probably is a combo of issues in your case, to be so tiny and have to lift heavy loads like that can have a HUGE impact on your pelvic cavity. Heavy lifting is a cause of POP in general, but in a scenario like yours where you have impact of heavy lifting added to being in menopausal lower estrogen state (impacts muscle tissue strength, elasticity, and integrity), it's a double whammy. Truly a urogyn is the best bet, they are the most experienced in types of POP procedures but you have to utlize the physicians that you are comfortable with. For example, my urogyn knew after speaking with me that I am extremely active and I exercise aggressively. We wanted to make sure that the surgery would "stick" so she put quite a bit of mesh in me. We also discussed mesh type, I didn't want any complications; she used a type of mesh that is older, tried and true, good track record, instead of one of the newer types that hasn't been out long enough to know if it is good or not.

Bottom line is go to dr with a sheet including all of your questions and do not leave until they are all answered.

Sher

Yes I'll definitely find out whats up and why. I've retired so that should help alot. I know that there are a few reasons for leakage, it's just figuring out which one is mine.

Thanks for the information it's been very helpful

diacula
I'm glad to hear you retired, eliminating the heavy lifting will help. Keep me in the loop with what you find out!

Sher
I have had mine done in Dec.. I still have to use pads.And still leak bad! I need help bad.I have to wear panties at night..
Please see a different doctor to find out the cause of the leakage. Once you know what is causing it, it will be easier to give you suggestions of what to try to treat it. Let me know what you find out and I'll try to give you suggestions. It would be a good idea to see a urogynecologist rather than an ob/gyn.

Sher
I had a vaginal sling placed using facia tissue on Jan 31, today is March 2 and I'm leaking lots of urine. Surgery was done by a urologist who is an expert at what he does, I must follow up, maybe something needs to be adjusted.