Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
erosion

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

erosion

I have reason to believe I might be having mesh erosion.  One doctor did not use that term, but offered to remove the mesh used during the POP.  There is an irregularity in the mesh or tissue, like something is not quite tacked down.  However, she offered to remove it.  The mesh was pelvicol.  Is this a recalled mesh product?  Is this an absorbable mesh?  Is it better to remove it sooner than later.  I am feeling burning today in the area.  
Pevicol is a porcine mesh (natural tissue blend) that is one there are problems with. It is not recalled, and it is absorbable, I would recommend if you are having problems to have it removed. Please seek counsel with a urogynecologist if the physician who did the surgery is not a specialist. Mesh complications do not go away on their own, they need to be addressed.

Sher
If someone had a sacrospinous ligament suspension, and POP surgery, and started bleeding several weeks after the surgery, and continues to bleed most days now for going on five months now, how would they know if it was perimenopausal symptoms or related to the surgery.  In particular, considering the mesh that suspends the uterus to the sacrospinous ligaments, might be difficult to view in a regular exam.  Also, how difficult would a hysterectomy be if someone has a lot of mesh, since it has been indicated to me it could be difficult.  Should I first try something else?
I am trying to message Sherrie for you due to the nature of your technical question plus the fact that you have messaged her before.  
In the mean time I do feel you need to get a good Urogyne to look at all the options for you as I have a feeling there will more than one.
Any bleeding that has gone of for several months needs looking at.  
Many women have follow up operations for more than one reason so try and keep your mind open on this idea while getting facts first to be able to make a decision you are happy with.
Thank you for your question.
I can't remember Padi, was the procedure done by a urogyn? No matter who did the procedure, 5 months is not standard bleed time after POP surgery. What POP procedures were done or what types of POP were repaired and grade of severity? Does your daily activity include any heavy lifting (including kids/grandkids)? Do you have pain or bleeding alone? Can you provide a few more details of what the dr is telling you? Have you spoken with a different dr than the one who did your procedure? Don't mean to be invasive but difficult to narrow down without them.

Sher
Sher,
I am considering POP and hysterectomy surgery by my urogynecologist. But, I am scared to go through with it because I am not incontinent yet, and am still very sexually active at 58. My prolapse is significant, a 3rd degree with a cystocele present and going to get worse. Do you think I should put off surgery?
Putting off your surgery will mean your prolapse is going to get worse, however, if you can live with it like it is there is no reason to have the op if you feel you are not ready for it.  
Having the operation is a personal choice and not life threatening so take your time to be sure it is the right thing for you to do.

Good luck with your decision