Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Expert Forum
help - scheduled for surgery 11/13/12

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) FORUM. This forum welcomes questions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

help - scheduled for surgery 11/13/12

I am scheduled for sacrocolpopexy with the Da Vinci robot and I have a few questions.  I have a grade 4 uterine prolapse, a grade 3 rectocele grade 3 cyctocele, several uterine fibroids and a large cyst on my left ovary.  I am 50 y/o.  I have struggled and research my treatment since going to my OB.  My OB wanted to do the surgery and have a GI doc and urologist assist as well.  After research I found a female urogynecologist.  The doctor seems very knowledgeable and has sent me to physical therapy.  The office however, is awful.  I have not received any paper work regarding pre and post op care.  The MD told me I would receive information over a month ago.  I have attempted to contact the office several times but get the run around.  I am concerned about my after care.  There are very few urogyns in my area.  The other group is a teaching hospital and I do not want to have some one learn at my expense.  I just ordered Sherri's book.  I have requested an appt with the doc on 11/3 to discuss my concerns but was hoping to get some advice and suggestions prior to my appt.  Please let me know if anyone has some information?  I would like to know how long I should have someone to help me after surgery?  I am really worried about constipation after surgery?  Pain ? how soon can I resume walking my 3 to 5 miles a day?
I agree that it is concerning the office appears to be poorly run.  If there is another Urogynecologist or gynecologist that specializes in prolapse repair, I would suggest you seek a second opinion.  You may look at the following sites for potential doctors: AUGS  http://www.voicesforpfd.org/p/cm/ld/fid=81   , SGS  http://www.sgsonline.org/findsgsphys.php  ,  

Regarding post operative recovery, I usually tell my may patients they will be in the hospital one night, when they go home the will be able to do basic care things but not able to drive for 10 days.  They may return to light work if desired in 14 days,  No intercourse for 8 weeks, and no heavy lifting for 12 weeks.  I would expect you to be able to return to walking in 6 weeks.  

Dr. Mathews