Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
pessary fit

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

pessary fit

Hi Sheri,

I have started using a donut pessary.  It does not stay behind my pubic bone after it is inserted, but does keep my uterus from prolapsing.   I have tried other pessaries, and they do the same thing.  Does it really matter if the pessary doesn't stay behind the pubic bone as long as it is holding my uterus up?  It drops off my pubic bone and sits at the opening of my vagina.  I am a grade three prolapse.

Thanks,
kw101449
The pessary really should stay in place if it is properly fitted. Was yours fitted by a urogynecologist? It could be that the donut is not the proper type for you; there are many different kinds of pessaries. I would question your dr on this or if your dr is a gyn, it would be a good idea to see a urogynecologist for a pessary that will suit your needs better. (There are over 20 types of pessaries, many different shapes/sizes.)

Good luck kw, I hope you find one that does the trick better!
Sher
Hi SherrieP,

No, I go to a gyn.  I guess I need to think about seeing a urogynecologist.  My gyn isn't  pro pessary.  She wants me to have the surgery.  I am asymtomatic with my POP other than frequent urination, so I would like to hold off on surgery and see if I can find a pessary that works.  Thanks for the info.

kw101449
I do believe you will have much better luck finding the right pessary/fit by seeing a urogyn. Any gyn who pushes surgery when a patient is asking for pessary or other treatment is a flag-I am glad you are digging for more info! If you have any problems finding one give me a shout.

Sher

Yes, I agree.  I was a bit taken back when I request a pessary and was told 2 out of three women don't like them so my gyn doesn't suggest them.  I felt that I should be the one to make that decision not my gyn.  If I was having a lot of problems, I would probably go for the surgery, but I'm not.  I am sure I have a urogyn. near my home.  

Thanks,
KW
I totally agree! Sounds great on the urogyn path, you know where to find me if you need me.
Sher
I had stage III POP and had the surgery done in Jan 2011 by my urogynecologist--recommended by my OBGYN--because it involved a cystocele, rectocele and mid-urethral sling repair.  I tried the pessary devices and  had problems with it staying in place or just falling out completely while I was walking.  Plus I have an active sex life and putting it in/out just was not appealing to me.  Please read Sherrie's book "Pelvic Organ Prolapse The Silent Epidemic" and specially read Chapter 7 (Treatment Options) and Chapter 8 (The Pessary) since you are not inclined toward surgery at this time.  I call it my POP Bible because it provided me with such invaluable information prior to and after my surgery.  Check out my comments under MCFOR  with "MUST READ" in the title and you will see why I call it the POP Bible.