Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
rectocele and cystocele repair surgery

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

rectocele and cystocele repair surgery

I am scheduled for surgery, but haven't had my pre-op visit yet.  I have read some stories about restrictions on weight lifting for long periods of time.  Is that true?  I knew there would be a 5 pound limit for 6 weeks but thought that would be it.  Has anyone had this surgery with mesh reinforcement around the vaginal wall?  Are you glad you did it?
There will be a weight restriction, could be 6-12 weeks depending on what you are having done. It is vital to adhere to your drs orders, lifting weight too early can damage surgical repairs done. I had surgery for 3 of the 5 types of POP, grade 3 (of 4), for me it was a 12 week heal curve. I have mesh for 2 of the 3 types of POP repaired; concerns with mesh are not typically from the mesh itself, it's from physicians who are not specialists doing the procedures-this is intricate surgery and it takes a specialist to get it right. (Urogynecologist.)

I have not regretted my surgery for a minute. It is important to have a good relationship with your physician, I'm hopeful you have that. You will most likely be on the couch for a week post surgery and go home with a cath. Icing is very important post surgery, it really helps with pain and swelling (you will have pain pills as well).

I'll be out of town from tomorrow through Saturday, so if you send in additional questions, it will be late Saturday or Sunday b/4 I can answer them.

Good luck with your procedure!
Sher
Thanks for the information and sharing your story.  I'm beginning to have second thoughts and I'm not sure why.  I'm not sure when this type of surgery goes from being elective to a good idea.  Right now I don't have any pain or incontinence, just some difficulty with bowel movements.
If you are having doubts you should hold off on surgery. Often women with minimal symptoms opt for non-surgical treatments rather than surgery. I feel it is important for women to seek advice from a specialist for pelvic floor procedures, a urogynecologist is the physician of choice. A good pelvic floor surgeon will advise you in both surgical and non-surgical treatment options.

It is always a woman's choice whether or not to have surgery for repair of POP. Some women never have surgery no matter how much their POP progresses; more typically women get tired of dealing with the symptoms of POP which can become quite invasive as the condition progresses.

I'm going to send you a PM which will point you to an article that addresses classic symptoms, many of which women don't recognize if they are not pointed out. If you have additional questions after you read the article, shoot them over!
Sher