Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Expert Forum
rectocele and vaginal polyps

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) FORUM. This forum welcomes questions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

rectocele and vaginal polyps

hello

I have had 2 babies via forcep delivery and 2 epistomies. My last baby was large at  8lbs 10 delivered this year.

I had a mirena coil fitted in may, and when I check for threads I can feel a bulge protruding from the rear wall of my vagina. It is most prominent when I need a bowel movement, however once I have been it retracts, sometimes it dissapears completly, most times however I can still feel something. The more I need to use the bathroom for a bowel movement, the bigger the bulge. I cannot feel the bulge laying down or standing up. It is only noticable in a squatting/half sitting posisiton which you would adopt to use the toilet.

again the bulge is only actually visable in a squatting posistion although it does nt protrude out of my vagina it can come down about 2 inches above my vaginal opening. It can take me ages to have a bowel movement, but I dont have to strain, and I go quite reguarly so I would nt say I was constipated, although I do have 2 large but not painful external piles I am hoping to have treatment for. (consultation next week).

I had nt noticed this before my last baby was born, however Ive never really taken much notice of what everything down there looks like or how it feels so have no idea if its normal to bulge when I need to have a BM. I have no pain or uncomfortableness at all. I dont want to worry myself or start thinking about rectocele treatment if I dont even have one.

I have had a smear test and a pelvic exam plus a mirena coil fitted since my sons birth and nobody has yet to mention any form of prolapse, however some vaginal polyps (not cervical) were found growing to the side and below my vaginal opening. Do these need treatment?

thank you for your time to anyone who can respond.
Hello,  What you are describing is a Rectocele and is common after childbirth. Symptoms associated with a Rectocele include feeling constipated with possible need to place a finger in the vagina to facilitate evacuation (splinting), and feeling a bulge in the vagina.  I would suggest you try pelvic floor exercises, Kegels, and see if this helps.  Here is a link: http://www.drjkm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Kegel.pdf

With regards to the vaginal polyps, I would suggest a biopsy be performed to make sure all is well.