Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Expert Forum
scared...bladder prolapse..please help!!

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) FORUM. This forum welcomes questions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

hi im 32 and from the uk. i have a 10 month old baby and last month i was diagnosed with stage 2 bladder prolapse (it was just inside my vagina) . 3 wks later its worse...its starting to bulge out of my vagina and im terrified. i saw a gynaecologist whos only advice was to do pelvic floor exercises n avoid heavy lifting which is impossible with a 24lb baby. she gave me no.other advice and no information on pop so iv had to google everything.
i asked for a pessary but she said no cz its only for uterine prolapses.
im scared and unsure what to do...my first response was surgery but iv heard the majority of surgerys fail? does anyond have any advice on what i should do n advice/info on pessarys/surgery types...what type of surgery would i need and the risks, failure rate etc also wha can i do in the meantime to be proactive..im suffering with slight urine leakage n getting pains in my belly like my muscles are stretching??
Sorry to read of your problem.  Having some degree of pelvic organ prolapse after delivery is very common.  Pelvic floor exercises often will help with these issues and is worth a try.  Your doctor should be able to refer you to a physical therapist that specializes in women's pelvic floor issues and this would be a good place to start.  A pessary can be used for bladder prolapse but many women find them unacceptable.  You could also seek a second opinion regarding your condition from a urogynecologist.  Surgery would be a consideration if your symptoms are significantly bothersome and your have completed your family.  While failure rates range from 10 to 40 percent depending on which technique is used, many patients have undergone successful repair of pelvic organ prolapse.  It is however important to have the repair done by an experienced surgeon.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD
I am older than you are, and am up to garandchildren. I also have been diagnosed with Stage 2 Prolapse. I was afraid of having surgery, as I didn't want to open a Pandora's Box or have any complications afterwards. After surfing the web, I came across a product V-Brace by a company called Fembrace which has worked miracles for me. It has been a lifesaver. It
is a cross between a panty and a girdle..but works wonders.  Good luck to all !!!
Hi there

I had very good success using a pessary with stage 3 prolapse - bladder, rectum, and uterine. I ultimately opted for surgery - but I had already had six children and am postmenopausal, aged 55, so a different situation than you. However, don't rule out a pessary for at least temporary relief of symptoms. It allowed me to continue living my life, take a trip to Italy involving a lot of hiking, easily carried heavy suitcase and so forth. I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to put in and out each day and at how much it helped. When I had it in I didn't even feel like I had any issues at all.

The only reason I went with surgery - just had it a week ago - is because I figured the condition would only worsen over time and I wanted to take care of it when I could more easily recuperate. I didn't want to wait until I was older and less likely to heal quickly. i am vry active, I do a lot of yard work and exercise, and i felt like my quality of life would improve in the long run even though surgery would set me back in the short term.

Good luck! I wish i would have known about POP when I was younger so I could have done more preventive exercises.
Hi there