Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Expert Forum
self-diagnosis of rectocele
About This Forum:

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) FORUM. This forum welcomes questions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

self-diagnosis of rectocele

i'm 31 & delivered a 9.4-pounder 21 months ago. i developed large but painless hemorrhoids during pregnancy that worsened during delivery (i pushed for 90 minutes while lying on my back) and are still there. i tore-i don't know if it was 2nd or 3rd degree but stitches took a half hour.

over the last 5 months i've been experiencing varying degrees of rectal pressure & incomplete bowel evacuation (even with soft stool). as a longtime sufferer of health anxiety, i've become preoccupied w/ the possibility of colon cancer, because i've lost lots of weight this past year (although i'm chasing a toddler and still breastfeeding quite frequently--plus i was thin to begin with). often i don't feel like i've emptied my bowels completely, & will continue to try to go more throughout the day, sometimes i'm able to get more out & sometimes not. it's better when i'm not home because i can't keep trying to go, and the pressure lessens. but once i go, i'm left feeling unsatisfied, though it is never painful (so i doubt that the sensation is caused by internal hemorrhoids).

i'm worried abt a rectocele but am ashamed of how totally unfamiliar i am with my anatomy. if i squat over a mirror without touching my vagina and bear down, nothing happens. but if i spread it open, i do see what i guess is the walls? it is pink tissue that doesn't move much when i bear down. however, when i insert my finger i feel soft bulges on the front and back. i just don't know if this is just walls or a cystocele/rectocele. i was convinced i could see my cervix but my husband assured me it was my urethra! i feel stupid for not knowing what i looked/felt like before. I have an iud and think i can feel that way back (full-finger length).

when i squeeze to pass gas, sometimes i pee more than a drop but not a bladder full. for the first 2 months pp, i'd put my hands in warm water sometimes & my bladder would empty completely before i could stop it. doesn't this indicate pelvic floor damage? thank you.