Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Expert Forum
surgery failed
About This Forum:

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) FORUM. This forum welcomes questions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

surgery failed

I had a hysterectomy and bladder suspension DaVinci surgery for stage 4 prolapse done on March 15, 2012.  The hysterectomy was done by an OB/GYN who left part of the cervix for the urologist to attach the bladder.  Prior to the surgery, I could see a good portion of my bladder.  For the first week post-op, I could feel nothing at the vaginal opening.  Both doctors said the surgery was a success, but the urologist gave me a pelvic exam 11 days after surgery.  He said the bladder was "up there" and was pleased. But the next week, I could see an organ, possibly my cervix, at the vaginal opening.  I think my surgery has failed, and I wonder if it could have been caused by the pelvic exam less than two weeks post-op.  Any ideas as to what could have caused failure so soon after surgery.  I followed all post-op instructions.  Thanks.
1344197_tn?1392822771
All surgeries for Pelvic Organ Prolapse can fail.  Some have higher rates of failure than others.  It is unlikely that the pelvic exam had anything to do with the failure of your surgery.  Depending on what was done, Sacrocolpopexy, and what was used for the repair, synthetic mesh, usually failure rates are low.  However, it is unclear from your post as to what procedure actually was done during your surgery.  I would suggest that you speak with your doctor or seek a second opinion from a Urogynecologist in order to determine what plan of action  would be appropriate.  Thank you for your question.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
1344197_tn?1392822771
J. Kyle Mathews, MD, DVMBlank
Plano Urogynecology Associates
Plano, TX
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity