Pelvic surgery User Group
Change in incontinence after surgery
About This Group:

Complications after pelvic organ prolapse surgery, problems, solutions, pain with sex.

Founded by nannynormi on September 21, 2011
2 members

Change in incontinence after surgery

I had the "blue plate special" as my GYN doctor calls it.  Surgery was performed by a highly skilled expert in his field on July 28, 2011.

Problem list: Cystocele, Rectocele, Uterine Prolapse, Adenomyosis, Stress Incontinence, and Umbilical Hernia (from previous uterine uplift procedure that failed), gaping vagina from improper epesiotomy repair.

Surgical Procedures: anterior/posterior repair (with mesh), laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy, laparoscopic vaginal vault support with mesh, laparoscopic urethra sling, vaginoplasty, umbilical repair.  The posterior repair was done via two bilateral incisions in the vaginal vault.

Here's my problem, though.  I still have incontinence, only it's different now.  Prior to surgery, it was mostly stress-incontinence from sneezing, lifting, etc.  Now it's when I'm getting ready to void.  I'll have an urge to void and will spray urine before I'm siting at the toilet.  I have found that if I "clinch" my urethra (like a Kegal, intending to stop the flow), it actually makes the urine flow instead.  If I try to do Kegals on the toilet while urinating, the stream strengthens while lifting on the pelvic floor and slows when I relax.  

Is this normal for women after receiving a urethral sling?  I researched that 8 out of 10 women are cured with a urethral sling.  Am I one of the unlucky few?  I have leaked urine while attempting to hold urine back after pulling down my underwear but before sitting (in that 1 second delay I was already voiding against my will) and one day I had to change my underwear 3 times because of it.  I want to do kegals but I fear doing them will cause me to void in my clothes.

I have done research on this matter and have found nothing.

Thank you in advance for your response.

-T
TamaraP joined this group
Welcome them!
09/11
nannynormi created this group
Join them!
09/11