People Allergic to Me (PATM) Community
My observations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PATM - People Allergic to Me.

My observations

I've had PATM for 2 years now. I'm desperate for a solution but I'm finding it a difficult problem to solve. Hopefully pooling our experiences we might come closer to a solution.

Some observations:

- It gets worse when I'm anxious and when I drink tea or coffee
- Antacids like Gaviscon Double Action tablets help but provide very temporary relief.
- After fasting for 12 hours for a blood test it went away while my stomach was empty.
- Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole reduce the problem but not completely, I was taking 20mg twice a day for a week and that helped.
- Salt diluted in water seems to have been the most effective but I don't know why. Just add enough salt so the water tastes salty. But taking salt is not good for your health. I think I can feel the effects of higher blood pressure - salt causes your blood to retain more water and hence higher blood pressure. I came across this by accident - I noticed the problem reduced significantly after eating a lot of salt and vinegar rice cakes and I ruled out the vinegar.

I have also suffered from IBS for many years though removing sugar from my diet helped enormously. Sometimes I give off a fecal smell - usually when I was anxious or had alcohol.

It seems to be related to stomach acid. Maybe the lining of the stomach or the duodenum is damaged by acid and allowing acid into the blood which is secreted through sweat pores or the lungs like alcohol.
Forgot to include in my observations:

- Goes away when I eat.
- Chewing gum reduces it, which is strange since you would think that would stimulate more stomach acid but it probably also generates bicarbonate in the duodenum to neutralize acid coming from the stomach.
Still trying stuff but no success so far.

I got my doctor to prescribed antibiotics for stomach ulcer. I thought maybe the bacteria H Pylori might be giving off a by-product. The antibiotics made no difference though the Omeprazole (reduces stomach acid) as part of the treatment did reduce it.

I then got him to prescribe Mycostatin (Nystatin) which is an anti-fungal. I thought maybe I had Candida overgrowth. I took it for 2 weeks but it made no difference except for the fact that I tilted my head back when taking it from the dropper. It reduced it for around 15 minutes. I think putting pressure on the Thyroid reduces the amount of Thyroid hormone released which in turn slows down the digestive system. So for a while after, I would tilt my head back as far as it would go for 30 seconds and it would reduce it for a while but the effect has now worn off.

My current theory is that maybe stomach bacteria dissolved in water vapour (sweat) is the causing the allergy. I think it might be coming directly through the intestine wall. When sitting on my bed if I turn my head so my nose is over my shoulder rather than my stomach I sense it less. If it was getting through the intestine wall into the blood you would think it would cause more of an immune response.
Wow. I have the same problem. I tried the lemon detox for 5 days. There was a part when I should drink a glass of salt water and it was a miracle for at least two hours that I didn't smell anything at all. It keeps happening as I do the salt water every morning but it only lasted for a few hours. I've stopped the intake of salt water after the detox but Im going to check if this would still happen if I eat solid food.
I have the same problem. BTW I am from a "third world" country which makes it even worse cause people are not as open-minded as you want them to be and medical facilities are either of poor quality or overly expensive.

Anyway, some inputs which I hope will help:
- It started when I ***** clothes to work one day which were not sun-dried properly or were still a bit moist and stored in my closet with all my fresh clothes. It stayed there for roughly 2 months.
- My co-workers and clients started sniffing/coughing and I thought it was just my clothes - tried my best to fix the problem by RE-DOING the laundry but using the SAME CLOSET and QUITTING SMOKING. It did not work.
- It affected my LIFE and I started to drink more (1.5 litres of extra strong beer per day) which just made it worse.
- Now I am trying to quit drinking too and trying to remedy the laundry.
- What's odd is that my family and significant other does not smell a thing or get affected at all.
- My theory is that I may have had it all this time and it was just masked by the cigarette stench. Seriously contemplating on wether to try going back to smoking which could be a dead end or just live with this PATM.
Just to like to add that peppermint tablets stops it for a short while. I've also found that swimming most of the time get's rid of it for a few hours. The salt water is no longer effective though chewing gum is still effective. I think Betaine HCL tablets taken after meals reduces it a little.

Peppermint calms the digestive muscles. When you're tense and anxious it makes PATM worse which probably makes your digestive muscles tense.