People Are Allergic To Me (PATM)
People are allergic to me. And a lot of other people around the world are suffering from this condition. Doctors do not beleive the reports, and most of them claim that we are crazy but we all know that we're far from being crazy. This condition causes so much heartache and stress. I have sent emails to CDC, NIH and WHO with no help. Would you please address this issue?
Hey guys

Don't feel paranoid if you think people in cars near you are reacting. My PATM is consistently bad and pretty much every day on the way
to work when I stop at the lights I can see the familiar nose itch/rub by the person in the car next to me and sometimes in the car behind me.

At first I was so infuriated that it cold travel that far but when I was trailing a person who was smoking in their car I caught a hint of cigarette smoke and I realized that it is possible.  

However, we should not get too worried about thinking PATM smells (yes the "S" word). I strongly believe that even though some of us have IBS (like me) or other problems with the bowels and digestive system that the PATM reactions are not b/c of the smell. I truly believe that PATM is b/c of some sort of chemical, pheromone or other substance our body is releasing.  

Now some of us do smell as well. I try and keep myself pretty clean with the excessive showers after bowel movements, etc. but I know I have a bit of an odor which is worse at time.

When you combine PATM and the odor situation it makes it impossible to tell if you are just plainly smelling not so good that day or whether it is PATM kicking in - very frustrating.

I have had some pretty wacky reactions - one person said they felt like an insect running across their skin (similar to the crawling feeling on the face).

Most of all the standard reactions are as follows:

Rubbing/itching the nose
Rubbing eyes/eye brow
itching arms/skin generally
sneezing
coughing
violently blowing out of nostrils
breathing out when walking past you
hand over face
scratching hair on head (fairly recent addition to the symptoms)

Generally while I try very hard not to let these reactions annoy me (but they still do - deep down inside) if people that I don't know react - I don't care so much b/c I believe they don't realize its b/c of you.
What really gets to me, is when people close to me get the symptoms and I constantly worry that they put two and two together and realize - every time I am around so and so I get itchy i.e. avoid that person, hate of them, tolerate them, etc. thats why it makes it so hard for me to socialize. I really want to get out there and hang out with my mates and see people but when I constantly get these reactions - it just destroys me. I think to myself that I have tried so many things and nothing has killed it off and its so depressing. Its a vicious circle too - the more you go without your friends the more down you get and I am sure the stress and lack of distraction makes PATM worse. Please every one post your ideas or methods that you think helps tame this nasty beast. For me at one stage a bread called "Oat bread - sour dough" (made from oats) by ancient grains was working well with me but I must have overdone it b/c my gut does not seem to like it anymore...!!!

My best stress release it packing up the ipod with great music and going for a long brisk walk in the parks... gets your mind off it and if there are not too many people around you don't get reminded all the time of it.

One thing on positive thinking: I think people with say a disease which they are fighting that they can't feel are more able to be positive and stay in a good frame of mind. Us PATM suffers can try this but it is soooo much harder b/c we get constantly reminded (negative reactions from others) about our problem. So it is really hard to snap out of it or just even not think about it.

any way - chin up.

Cheers

Guys

my email is david_41225***@**** if you ever wanna drop me a line.
oh yeah that address is hot mail ******* since it was censored....
d0t c0m ---- geeez get over it guys... I will try again
he he he david_41225 @ h0t mail d0t c0m ha ha h a
Greetings,
I am so happy you are not experiencing debilitating symptoms along with this dis-ease I have had undiagnosed flu-like symptoms for ten years and have severe PATM. ***** for me........................... By the way you forgot to add hiccupping to your list and dirty looks and spitting on the ground where you are walking............. this is the worst and have been in a few fights with people who do this to me.........................
Hi Cursedtoo,
I kind of agree with your assessment of PATM. I am trying to do experiments to rule out PATM as much as posible- or al least separate normal reactions from patm related reactions. what do you think of my idea of catching whatever is in the air with a filter and taking it to a lab?
I hope you keep posting- I think you are one of the most insightful among us.
Regards,
PbS
Also a couple of strips of that clear plastic with adhesive on one side with a couple of sample from your skin which might pick up skin fragments or anything else (like of csi) could be used.

Another CSI like device could be that "electronic nose" that detects certain substances in the air - if only we could get access to this device and test it on a normal person and then one of us and see if there is some difference in the chemical output????? might give us a clue to track it down.
  What is really aggravating me is that I can't find a health care professional who is sensitive (meaning reacts) to my presence. Either I am not around them enough for the reactions to manifest or if they do have the sniffles/cough/throat clearing/nose rubbing, they always have an explanation (usually a believable one) as others have pointed out.
  My best days are the ones when i'm taking powerful anti-anxiety meds. Its not that the drugs cause me not to care or notice the reactions, its the fact that there are little or none. I can repeat this
again and again. The only problem is i become very lathargic and sleepy while on drugs such as Xanax, and the Drs won't prescribe enough of it to take day after day or in high enough doses.
  There have been exceptions, like if i'm already upset/nervous before I take the meds. Its best to take them early in the day before any socializing has begun. I also eat less when i'm on them. Eating big meals seems to be one of those things that make PATM worse.
  If I could find a Doctor who is sensitive to my presence (PATM wise),
I might , with their help, be subjected certain tests which may lead to an answer. Until then they just say i'm very impressionable and that there is no way people could be allergic to me physically and that if something is happening its due to some element on me, like cologne or soap.
  I've tried to hide from this curse for way too many years. I lived on the fringe of society and my ability to socialize is warped. I'm middle aged and most of my life has been a nightmare. Finding this forum has helped, but in the end i'm still left alone with this hellish thing.
I empathize with you cursed- Were you an outsider before this curse?

I was kind of an outsider before this PATM thing.

Can't you volunteer or frequent a public place and identify there someone that get reactions from you and then take of one those doctors to witness it in person????
I am little reluctant about the CBT therapy because if you come across the wrong people they may force to take drugs and I am not interested in that type of solution.

I rather have stress.
Hi all.  does anyone get relief from:

alternative therapies
spending time in the sun
drinking lots of water

??

no
is there anything that you can relate to having slightly less reactions?
are your reactions always the same,

as in always coughing and sneezing
always coughing and then sniffles
etc...

do you have a cold, bunged up throat etc all of the time?
no symproms- good health

patm randomly without warning
i have no symptoms
How do u got without simptoms...
I've been with this disease for more than 5 years....I am just beginning to feel I am paranoic...I am looking for help....I've tried all kind of natural medicines, detox, lice killer, scabies killer but nothing good for me has arrived.

It's the people around me that have the symptoms, get it?
    I am convinced it (whatever causes the allergic reactions) is predominately issued forth from breathing. It may also be emanating thru our pores also, but to a lesser degree than the lungs. I believe it is a metabolic problem, similar to TMAU, but without (or with a lesser) odor. Whatever is causing the reactions is efffected by what we eat, how much we sweat, and other factors that affect normal metabolism.
It is an allergen, some sort of protein not normally produced in the general population and could probably be identified from breath and sweat samples.
    As far as finding a witness or someone who reacts to me that would be willing to help is a very diffficult proposition. As we all know even having one doesn't prove the reactions being witnessed are directly caused by you. At best you could statistically prove there are more allergic type reactions in your presence, but those type of experiments need research specialists to perform.
   I'm going to make one more attempt with my CBT to "prove" there is something out of the ordinary happening around me. This will be in 2 weeks. Wish me luck.

cursedtoo
I doubt it's food related- I've gone without eating for a period of time to test that theory and reactions were still happening.
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.