Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
Cholesterol Drugs -- Alternatives to Statins?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cholesterol Drugs -- Alternatives to Statins?

My father needs to lower his cholesterol, but Statins cause him significant muscle problems (Myositis) and elevated Creatine Kinase CPK and Aldalase.  His symptoms resolve and tests return to normal when the Statins are discontinued.

What Cholesterol drugs can he try that do not have Myositis as a side effect?
Related Discussions
469720_tn?1388149949
Hello
Has he been on several types of statins. Specifically which ones? Sometimes merely changing agents even within the class will improve the symptoms.
3 Comments
Blank
Thanks for your reply. He has been on (5) Vytorin, Lipitor, Lescol, Baycol and Crestor.  I know that he had great success lowering his Cholesterol with at least 2 or 3 of these agents, but he has suffered terribly each time with very acute muscle pains that are virtually non-stop.  The pain resolves gradually over weeks as he stops taking the medications.  And his test results (CPK, etc.) improve as well.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.  
Blank
469720_tn?1388149949
That's a challenging situation. In that case I would consider coenzyme Q 10 high grade. This can mitigate some of the symptoms of myositis since he apparrently had some benefit. I have had good results in many cases. Consult with your cardiologist
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
469720_tn?1388149949
Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
The Cleveland Clinic Foundation
cleveland, OH
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now