Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
Dizzy,loss of memory, hand numbness

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

Dizzy,loss of memory, hand numbness

My husband is 61 years old. Was in good health, but now developed on going problems. In 2006 he had in his neck fused. Had a broken neck for 38 years from a car wreck that went undiagnosed.In March 2008 he had a pop or crack in his neck, a week later got dizzy spells that would not go away without laying down, he says it was more that he would  pass out if he tried to get up . He was told at the E.R. that he had vertigo. They were bad for the first month or two and now just come and go on a daily basis, feels disoriented most of the time. In May he started dropping things from his left hand. During all those months he has had all test run, cat scans, EKG, ultra sound of front neck arteries, complete eye exam. On Jan 16th he had a episode while he was taking a shower, leaned his head back to rinse his hair and that is the last he remembers During the hour or so, he shaved and got dressed, when he came out of it, he found himself on the basement steps calling for me (if forgot that I was at work).  He went to the E.R. the 2 doctor's he saw said it was TIA. Did MRI and cat scans of the brain and MRI & Cat of the neck. Nothing found. Then one week later he had his left arm and leg and face go numb and could not use right hand. The neurologist does not believe this is TIA. He has ordered a heart monitor and blood work. He will not see this doctor again till March. We are worried if this is TIA, his problems are getting worse and should we be waiting till March. This doctor does not believe these are all connected from last March till now. Could you give us some other things that maybe we need to have checked out.  He has seen at least 8 or 9 doctor's in the last year and most are saying now this is not Vertigo, but cannot say what it is. He has gone through VA and private doctor's. He has always had severe headaches but that he says he can live with but all the new is too much to deal with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It sounds like a very diabling problem that he's having. I applaud his persistence in getting to the bottom of the situation. It sounds like your doctors are being complete. One thing that I would question is the fact that the symptoms seem to be brought on by different head positions. Therefore, I would perform what is referred to as a "provocative"  test, like an ultrasound. Some people may have a test like an ultrasound which is normal if it is not done under the exact conditions that cause the symptoms. In his case, his ultrasound should be performed with his head flexed forward (chin to chest) and with his head all the way back. And turned to the extreme right and left. In some people, these conditions can cause temporary slowing of blood flow through the vertebral or carotid blood vessel leading to dizziness and syncope. He should be evaluated by a board certified vascular surgeon and neurologist after these results are available. Additionally, Im sure that he has undergone a "tilt table" test by a EPS specialist cardiologist?

I have had patients who suffered from this problem do to mal alignment of their cervical spine after a motor vehicle accident, however I think that should be the diagnosis after every thing else is eliminated. Good Luck
he has a CTA on 2-16-09, should we ask the nero to have the head tilted and different positions?? What is the tilt table? Of alll the doctor's findings we find yours more helpful, he has told the doctor's from day one he felt this was coming from the back of his neck, his neck gets real sore after a epiosode and alot of pressure in the back of his neck. Thank you for all your help.