Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
Erythromelalgia, leg-swelling, hypertension
About This Forum:

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Erythromelalgia, leg-swelling, hypertension

I was recently diagnosed with Erythromelalgia by a Dermatologist.  (This was not the purpose of the consultation; I also have Raynaud's, lichen planus, and have had erythema nodosum, now resolved.)  The Dermatologist has not recommended follow-up for this; she says that there isn't much that can be done for this disorder other than to take Advil when I have flares.

I have chronic swelling in my legs (source uncertain), improved to a certain extent by a diuretic I take for hypertension.  (I'm female, age 46, and have had hypertension for several years.  My weight is low-average, but I tend not to exercise enough, given the swelling/pain.) I was hoping that follow-up regarding the Erythromelalgia might provide me with some information/help regarding the swelling.  Do you feel that follow-up for this would be warranted, or is this just something that one lives with, likely unrelated to the leg swelling (which is present even when I'm not visibly flaring)?