Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
Is there a cure for Metastatic Adenocarcinoma

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

My mom is suffering from cancer. It started with just a stomach pain in November of last year. Doctors did a CTScan and they said it was an ulcer.  Then a month later, after all the medication given to her, it wasn't working and her stomach started swollen. Doctors advised laparoscopy surgery they were afraid it might be her apendicites swollen up.  They found out it wasn't. According to them her intestine were tight and twisted. Pain medication were given to her again and less than a month, my Mom was back to the hospital again.  She could not handle the pain anymore, getting more severe and she lose a lot of weight for not being able to eat and having a hard time taking a vowel movement.  The diagnogis of the biospy came and doctors told us she has a ADENOCARCINOMA, METASTATIC. Is there a cure for this?.. and how long can a person be suffering like this?.. Doctors told us that there isn't anything they can do. I love my Mom very much and it is very hard for me to see her like this, so much in pain and losing so much weight. Her stomach is hard and legs swollen. She is having a hard time uriniting and been about 4days now without vowel movement. Doctors give her morphine for pain reliever. Is there any kind of help or advise you can give me?                      
Although I received training in oncology (cancer) during my residency, I dont practice in the field so you may need additional answers elsewhere.
First, metastatic cancer means that the cancer has spread beyond the area which it initially occurred. this means that the disease is advanced and makes the prognosis worse. The prognosis is dependent upon what type of cancer it is, ie what organ it affected initially.  The pain medication that your mother is given can slow her bowel function and lead to constipation so you should make her doctors aware so that they can treat the constipation. Lastly, you should schedule a family meeting with her supervising cancer doctor to discuss the specifics of her case and get a direct answer about her prognosis based upon their detailed knowledge of her problem. God Bless and good luck
Just wanted to let you know that my Mom passed away 2 days ago.  Very hard to accept.  She is in peace now with the Lord..no more pain and suffering... but I wish her Doctors could had done something sooner (the 1st time she went to see and get evaluated) before the cancer become metastatic.  
A related discussion, My close Friend was started.
A related discussion, metastatic carcinoma was started.