Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
Long term prob. with a leg by-pass
About This Forum:

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Long term prob. with a leg by-pass

How do I find a surgeon that will give a second opinion, this prob has been going on for over four  years?
Tags: leg
Related Discussions
469720_tn?1388149949
Hello
Thats a great question? How to find an expert physician to manage a medical problem is challenging. I know as a health consumer who has had to find a surgeon for a relative who lives in another state that it can be difficult.

Do you have a local university or large facility. If so, there is usually a department of vascular surgery department. The problem then becomes that vascular sugeons have different areas of expertise. So ask specifically who you would see to have your lower extremity bypass evaluated

The other way is to contact your health insurer and ask them what vascular surgeons they have on their plan. They may even have information about board certification and the results of the physicians performance

What is the problem? and Where are you located?

3 Comments
Blank
Approx. 4 years ago I had a by-pass in my right leg with a artifital  vein, this became infected. The surgeon re-routed part of the by-pass to delete the infection, after 3 months+ in the hospital and rehab center its still there, but worse; extreme pain.[It's still infected]

I need another opinion, this is not working.

I live in Baltimore county, Md.
Blank
469720_tn?1388149949
If you're near Baltimore, Union Memorial Hospital, Frank Criado is a very good surgeon and Johns Hopkins has an excellent program as well.  If you are correct and you still have infection-that could threaten the function of your bypass, that needs to be evaluated asap. Good luck
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
21 hrs ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank