Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
Need Coumidan or not
About This Forum:

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Need Coumidan or not

In June of 2010 I was diagnosed with Chronic DVT . The cardiologist stated I had Blood Clots and need to start coumadin immediately. I was very suspicious at first because I had not had any clots since age 14. But he nusre stated most people do not even know they had clots. Understanding I was raised ot trust doctors I thought well, maybe they are right and started coumadin. During the course of interviews with the cariologist , he seemed a little evasive in his answers . So I called the vascular clinic to see if I actually had blood clots .The response was NO. They could see the scarring from the pasdt. They were surprised to discover this was from when I was 14 ( 41 years ago ). I also have a genetic disorder - homocystinuria. I am also having a blood test done next week to determine if I have a gene that puts me at risk for clots. My question is that with 41 years of not having blood clots do I really need to be on coumadin ?