Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
Nerve Damage?

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

Nerve Damage?

I have been diagnosed with microvascular disease/agina via cath but have wondered if an old spinal injury (recently visualized on MRI and said to be serious by a neurosurgeon) is the true cause of my chronic pain (left upper back, left upper chest and jaw). I guess it's always possible to have both ...

The 20-year-old injury to the 5-6 and 6-7 cervical discs appears herniated and calcified, and are pressing on a nerve (I'm assuming the doc meant it's the spinal nerve); could it also be pressing on the vagus nerve, causing referred anginal pain?

How do you guys keep all of this straight anyway? Thanks!

My best,
Kim  
Excellent question. Fortunately, you have had the gold standard for visualizing your coronary (heart) vessels if you had a "cath" (cardiac catheterization). Although this is only an anatomic study, ie a roadmap, it is also possible to gain some information about the ejection fraction or performance of the heart.

This can be used along with "a stress test" which assessess the function of the heart in a minimally invasive fashion.

If you actually have microvascular disease one of the functional studies or your electrocardiogram would likely show some indication of heart disease also.

Our bodies sometimes have a true-true and unrelated process where we have two medical problems that may have slightly overlapping symptomotology. Its possible that this is the case for you, but I believe that you actually have two active conditions