Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
Newly Diagnosed PAD.
About This Forum:

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Newly Diagnosed PAD.

Two days ago, my 70 year old mother was diagnosed by her primary care physician as having PAD. For several years (approximately 3) she was simply told that her inability to walk even short distances without excruciating pain was possibly because she had two bulging disks in her lower back and ageing (aging). He has referred her to a vascular surgeon, whom she will see in three weeks. She stopped smoking 2 years ago and also has mild COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and has had several small strokes and a history of high blood pressure.

I am absolutely devastated - I have been reading everything I can about PAD ever since, and the prognosis for PAD and life expectancy seems so bleak. I haven't really read anything all that encouraging whatsoever. Nearly everything I have read on the internet includes the words "ominous", "grim outlook", "dire" and "poor prognosis". Nearly every site states such frightening mortality and morbity statistics and I can't seem to find anything that is reassuring.

My question is, is this an automatic death sentence for her? I can barely face her now without wanting to burst into tears and I have become so filled with anxiety. She seems to be unaware of the magnitude of her diagnosis. I don't wish to frighten her by what I have read on the internet. Is this something she can live with and manage? Is this hopeless? Is this a guarantee of death in the short term?

Please help me.
Tags: PAD