Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
PAD with neuropathy?

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

PAD with neuropathy?

My 77 years old husband developed neuropathy in both legs closely following bypass surgery.  6 years later a CT Scan for an aortic aneurysm picked up "atherosclerotic and tortuous"  common iliac arteries.  He was on morphine for 4 years and now he's on Hydrocodone.  My guess is that now he has PAD with his neruropathy. He is not diabetic.  Would, if this diagnosis is true, be eligible for  balloon therapy?  He had Medicaid and Medicare.  The aneurysm was only 3.5 cm so that's not an issue.

Sandy in FL
Neuropathy, the abnormal function of the nerves resulting in hypersensitivity and complaints of burning, numbness and lack of sensation in the feet and legs, is frequently associated with diabetes. Is your husband diabetic.

It may or may not be associated with "poor circulation". Peripheral Arterial blockages, which causes poor circulation, can cause neuropathy over time because the nerve function may be damaged by the lack of oxygen over a long period.

In this case the CT scan may have indicated the degree of blockage in the illiac blood vessels. The fact that it just described tortuous and atherosclerotic" vessels does not neccessarily mean that there was signicant blockages

If there are significant blockages in the iliac vessels, these blockages can usually be treated by angioplasty (balloon) with or without stent placement. This is one of the few areas where the results of balloons and stents approach the durability of surgery.

Your husband should have pulse volume recording (pvr) or ankle brachial index (abi) to evaluate the state of his circulation to the feet. Good Luck
As I stated in my original note, he is not diabetic.  We will see a specialist Tuesday for a nerve conduction study and I will show he the CT-scan report and suggest an abi.  

Right now he is having Vicodin withdrawal problems since he wanted to expose his pain so he could better describe it to this specialist.   To his surprise, his pain isn't nearly as bad as he thought.
A related discussion, PAD&small fiber poly neuropathy was started.