Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
Prominent Veins

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

Prominent Veins

Over the last couple of months I noticed that the veins on my hands, arms, legs and feet have become more prominent. It started with me noticing the veins on my palms and fingers appearing very blue sometimes (almost like they've been drawn with blue pen) and has progressed from my hand and feet up my legs and arms and I also see veins on my neck and around my eyes. This comes and goes - there doesn't seem to be a pattern though I've noticed it generally happens more in the evening and doesn't seem linked to temperature. Also, separately, the veins on the backs of my hands seem to be swelling a lot more than usual after hot showers. I know this is normal to some extent, but they are much more prominent than before and it lasts for a while even if I'm not actually feeling hot. I've noticed that the veins decrease in size quickly when raised to heart level. All these symptoms seem to be gradually getting worse and I've noticed some minor stabbing pains and itching over the last day or so.

I'm 30, female and am on levothyroxine for Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  At the beginning of the year I started getting severe acid reflux and have still got gastric problems which have been diagnosed as IBS. I'm on omeprazole and domperidone for these symptoms (the vein symptoms started not long after starting domperidone). I've also had chronic constipation, some dietary changes and lost 20 lb of weight (though my weight has been stable for a couple of months) with the gastric problems. My mother has had varicose veins, but as far as I'm aware those are permanent swelling of the veins.

I'm seeing my doctor again about these symptoms, but when I saw him before he was rather baffled. Any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you  
Its not uncommon for veins to become more prominent with significant weight loss. Pathologic reasons for vein prominence can relate to heart failure or pulmonary hypertension, both of which should cause symptoms of progressive shortness of breath and sometimes leg swelling. It sounds like you have none of these.

Its is also normal for your veins to become less prominent when your arms are elevated. I suspect that your problem is related to weight loss

Please inform if you have additional symptoms beyond the visual changes. good luck
Thanks for the reply. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with my heart (I had palpitations due to the acid reflux and had an echocardiogram and ekg which were all normal). TI wondered about the weight loss, but the symptoms started a couple of months after my weight stabilised and have worsened over the two months since then. It also comes and goes a lot (sometimes my hands will look normal, and other times the veins will look very blue).
I'm no doctor, but I've had the same problem and found that anemia can cause it or some types of birth control. Try some iron?
I also noticed sudden prominent veins in my arms, hands, feet , legs and across my chest and shoulders.  I am also starting to see them on my jaw and the corners of my mouth down to my jaw and on my neck.  I also notice to it more at night and after a shower ( but that usually is at night).  I am also on levothyroxine and also lost about 12 lbs. I also get swollen ankles.I am 37 Any luck on finding out what the cause is??  I go to the Dr's monday
So, how would you reduce the prominent veins symptom?
I am a 56 year old female, menopausal, type 2 diabetic, overweight, and with sleep apnea. I was sitting in my office today and noticed blue areas on my palms and fingers. I could clearly seen my veins. This passed, but it did panic me somewhat. I am on Avapro for mild highpertension. A few days ago, while sitting on my couch, I experienced vertigo. I have never had this happen before. I execise regularly, currently training for a half-marathon. As a result I have lost around 30 pounds in the past 18 months. I have noticed a tingling in my fingers and a similar sensation in my head. I am also experiencing headaches every day that just seem to come about suddenly. I don't know whether to be worried over some heart related problem or if this is stress related.
A related discussion, Blue veins on hands and legs was started.
A related discussion, Prominent Veins showing in shoulders, chest, neck was started.
A related discussion, lots was started.
A related discussion, pain cant swallow\ was started.
Hi can someone please help me I have just noticed this same problem, my hands will suddenly blue including my palms and fingers and my veins will literally be poking out it becomes so risen to the surface an slightly hurts. I'm only 24 I have no health problem what so ever plz can someone help am I gonna die..!! All the people that write these comments are you still Alive
A related discussion, BLUE VEINS was started.