Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
Recurring Pituitary Tumor
About This Forum:

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Recurring Pituitary Tumor

In 1997 I had a prolactinoma pituitary tumor removed.  The tumor was hard in nature an had to be "chipped" away. Surgery lasted 8 hours, versus the 3.5 they anticipated.  Due to the texture of the tumor, the surgeon was concerned the tumor could have been cancerous. Fortunately, it wasn't. My pre-surgery prolactin level was only 37. I was told for the size of the tumor my prolactin level should have been much higher.

In 2005 the main sympton returned (my right breast lactating). Since 2005 I have had yearly extensive blood work completed, each has showed my prolactin levels are within the normal range. I've had two MRI's completed and there seems to be a difference of opinion if there is something new on the pituitary gland or if it may be scar tissue. Since my prolactin levels are normal the neuro surgeon dismisses the idea that the pituitary tumor could have returned, by stating you cannot have a pituitary prolactinoma without elevated prolactin levels.  

I've asked, to no avail, could it be possible that the reason my prolactin levels are not elevated is because this time whatever is on the pituitary gland may not be a prolactinoma tumor but something else. The surgeon only told me that the symptoms could be the early signs of something forthcoming and said the only way to know for sure if there is something "new" on the pituitary glad would be to do surgery.

I am concerned that this time the tumor may be cancerous and by doing nothing could cause me problems in the long run. My yearly check up will be within the next 60-days, do you suggest I do something more proactive now, and if so, what would you suggest?

Thank you for your assistance.

Cheryl