Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
Splenic Artery Aneurysm

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

Splenic Artery Aneurysm
Hi!!  I am writing for my mother age 68 . She recently underwent a CT scan for abdominal pain and a 11 mm Splenic Artery Aneurysm (in the splenic hilus) was discovered.  Her abdominal pain was related to something else but we are concerned by this new discovery.   My mom is very active, has a hx. of HTN and High Cholesterol (can't take statins) but is basically a well women.  What is the recommended treatment for this condition?  Any info would be very appreciated...there's not very much info on the web available(regarding this type of aneurysm).
Is there a conservative treatment that could be done at this stage so that "things don't get worse"?  My concern is that my mom is "a ticking time bomb"....is this the case??  Thanks, Jen in NJ
Hello
Much apologies for the delayed response. Splenic aneurysms are most commonly found as an incidental finding on an x ray test done for another reason. They are the most common aneurysms of the abdominal (vicseral ograns). They are usuall manged with operation in younger women especially those of reproductive age due to the high risk of rupture with no treatment. For elderly individuals with asymptomatic aneurysms less than 2 cm, they are usually managed medically with blood pressure control. It is not a ticking bomb

Obviously, your mother would fall into the nonoperative category based upon her age and the size of the aneurysm. I would have her referred to a vascular specialist who reviews her films to verify the size.

Best of luck
A related discussion, Splenic aneurysm was started.